Burning 1GB or 2GB files on Win9X

u2kforever

Well ok i think the problem is this, nobody seems to sell DVD disc in 1GB or 2GB size, always 4GB or more. When i put in a Blank DVD 4GB disc, nothing shows up in the D or E drive, because of the 4GB limit. But i may be able to use a blank 1GB or 2GB dvd disc, but i can never find any :(

Well ok i think the problem is this, nobody seems to sell DVD disc in 1GB or 2GB size, always 4GB or more. When i put in a Blank DVD 4GB disc, nothing shows up in the D or E drive, because of the 4GB limit. But i may be able to use a blank 1GB or 2GB dvd disc, but i can never find any :(

It is not meant to show anything, because the disk is blank. Also, since Win9x doesn't have built in CD/DVD burning, you'll have to use 3rd-part software for that.

Just FYI, the size limit applies to files only, not CDs/DVDs or anything like that

It is not meant to show anything, because the disk is blank. Also, since Win9x doesn't have built in CD/DVD burning, you'll have to use 3rd-part software for that.

Just FYI, the size limit applies to files only, not CDs/DVDs or anything like that

I have a Sony DVD+R 120Min 4.7GB Blank Disc, and i have nero smart install, and image burn, and i have a DVD Combo 52X Drive. I put in the disc, nothing shows up, meaning the freespace information which shows up. Like for example, i put in a cd r and it says free space etc.

Am i using the wrong disc, should i buy a different DVD combo drive?

look for topic "breaking the 2gb barrier" in Win9x projects subforum. right now i can create, burn and read files larger than 2gb up to 4gb where really is the FAT32 limit. First of all you need to have kernel and shell patched because 2gb barrier is not in the fat, but in system files.

also i would reccomend you Nero 6. it can burn DVDs in windows 98 without troube.

also i dont believe that you will really need to burn files larger as 4 gb since DVD and CD filesystems are quite old suffering by similar limits as FAT32. But if you come in contact with DVD Image larger there is always possibility to unpack it.

look for topic "breaking the 2gb barrier" in Win9x projects subforum. right now i can create, burn and read files larger than 2gb up to 4gb where really is the FAT32 limit. First of all you need to have kernel and shell patched because 2gb barrier is not in the fat, but in system files.

also i would reccomend you Nero 6. it can burn DVDs in windows 98 without troube.

also i dont believe that you will really need to burn files larger as 4 gb since DVD and CD filesystems are quite old suffering by similar limits as FAT32. But if you come in contact with DVD Image larger there is always possibility to unpack it.

I already have the kernel thing patch, but i think i found the problem. I'm using a DVD Combo Drive, HL-DT-ST-RW/DVD GCC-452IB. I just read that this combo drive doesn't burn DVD's. Its too weak or something, so i'm looking to buy another one soon, just trying to figure out which one will work on my system.

If you have any links to buy one, let me know. Also, do i need one that supports PATA/EIDE or it doesn't matter?

i work in shop which sells a lot of HW. it does not matter if the dvd writer is PATA, SATA or whatever. just count that it is almost impossible to fulfill PATA limitations, so you really dont need to use SATA writer if you have enough connectors. all dvd writers are quite good configured to work without trouble, but while the burning is in progress really dont push the button by running another application :)

always check for newer firmware - thats all.

I'm using a DVD Combo Drive, HL-DT-ST-RW/DVD GCC-452IB. I just read that this combo drive doesn't burn DVD's. Its too weak or something

Combos are not supposed to burn DVDs. They READ DVDs and BURN CDs. And as said before, the 4GB limit applies to files on the HDD (FAT32) not on a CD/DVD.

I don't know about CDs, but I know DVDs don't use Fat32 (nor NTFS), they use something all their own which doesn't have a 4GB limit... obviously with a disc size of ~4.7GB (or ~9gb for dual layer), you can't impose a 4gb limit, how do you think a large movie fits.

obviously with a disc size of ~4.7GB (or ~9gb for dual layer), you can't impose a 4gb limit, how do you think a large movie fits.

That's a very bad example actually because movies are made of 1Gig or less .vob files :D . So ripping a movie to a FAT32 disc is not a problem either as long as you don't try to make it an iso.

All of my DVD's, where is data, in properties of the disk there will be only 1,99 GB, but all data on the disk can be read.

For CD/DVD burning, use programs like nero6 or other. Also you can burn Dual-Layer DVD's without any problems. (I noticed, that burning CD/DVD's on Win98 is slower, than burning on WinXP )

I have the same problem where the capacity of a DVD is 'read' as 2GB although the disc is full. I wonder why...

BTW, Nero 7.0.0.0 works fine here on 98SE - dunno why everybody only recommends Nero 6 for Win98.

I have a Samsung SH-S182D DVD burner and I'm very pleased with it.