Uptimes

PC_LOAD_LETTER

I just had to reboot after a 28 day uptime (674 hours) i decided to reboot because Windows installer was acting screwy (popping up trying to install Office 2003 anytime i tried to install something) and winamp was skipping with all the CPU s at less than 10%. before i rebooted, i decided to check my uptime and 28 days aint to shabby. Whats your current Vista uptime?

do you guys seriously run ur comps on all the time? may i ask why?

my computer is in my room so i keep it off when i dont use it.

but i dont see a purpose for having it on 24/7

I leave my computers on for several reasons. First off - all my "maintenance" work is done during the evenings. All of my personal files are synced between my computers, and any updates and defragging occurs at night. Secondly, I help seed several torrents - mostly linux ISOs, so my file server stays on at night. Furthermore, I've usually got a number of DVDs that are being encoded to XviD so I can easily watch them on my HTPC.

My computers are quiet enough that I could sleep with them running, even if they were in the same room as my bed. :)

My computers are quiet enough that I could sleep with them running, even if they were in the same room as my bed. :)

My PCs are quiet too but i find a cannot sleep unless they are running. its too quiet. seriously, when we had power out for 2 nights during the last ice storm, i had a fan in my bedroom with its cable running out the window plugged into a AD/DC inverter in my truck just to create noise so i could sleep.

Same here geek! I think most of us are use to having loud nosies around us so when its quiet it drives us mad. Or perhaps we are just weird. ;)

Anyhow, my main PC gets rebooted every few days. I always end up doing something that requires a reboot.

My laptop though has been up for 4 weeks (running linux) and my test PC has been up for over a year (not connected to internet and besides its running a beta version of windows xp (yes xp not vista) still - haha, time to format for sure).

Edited by war59312

i also forgot to add that if i leave my desktop on for a while, it heats up my room like crazy, lol. Q6600 and 8800GTS OCed = HEAT

and yes there are so many loud noised all around us, thats why i want queit, lol, im sick of all the noise

I leave mine on 24/7, but that's mostly for the Media Center capabilities and synching that or using it from my 360 down in the family room on the big TV. Plus maintenance is done overnight whilst I sleep, so it doesn't hamper computer use while I might actually want to use it.

The machine itself doesn't take much power when it's on at idle versus when it's actually off, and my electric bill isn't much an issue either. It's not hydroelectric or wind, but it's nuclear and not coal (I don't have a choice, but at least my state runs mostly on nuclear and not coal anymore).