Dustinwmew

Buy Or make?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you get you tools?

• Buy a kit
    • Buy the tool - make my own kit
    • Make the tools by hand - a good rock can open most locks
    • My slave take care of the repairs

I have been trying to find what would be in a good tool kit for low cost. A lot of the pre-made kits online feel like I'm paying more for the case then the tools, and a lot of the tools are cheaply made.

If I make my tool kit, I will most likely go with tools from snap-on, Mac, ... , for the classic tools (drivers (already have), wire repair tools, ...).

So here is what I an thinking of:

Tools:

driver with bits (nut, screw, torque, star, are any of the others needed?)

Needle-nose pliers

little 3 claw tool

Soldering gun

dikes

What else?

And spare computer parts:

Cables (

CMAS Battery

SDRAM

IDE Drives (CD / Hard)

I bought a kit and it held up okay, the thing of it is, I rarely use about 3/4 of it anyway when I do PC hardware work. Most of it can be done with the phillips head screwdriver or the standard size nutdriver. I used a nut-driver smaller than that at times to tighten the connections on expansion cards, but beyond that, I haven't needed much more. The three-prong grabby tool in the kit gets used every once in a great while, but I have a pair of old medical forceps? (looks like a pair of metal scissors but has a plier like head), which works better for picking up stray screws that fall in crevices or the like, that I use.

Of course, a lot depends on what you do that is beyond the simple stuff, and how often you would use it (do you fix computers everyday, or do you do it like a once in a while kind of thing?). The needle-nosed pliers might be useful. Some plastic tie-wraps might be useful to have, too. That exhausts everything I can think of with the PC. The wrench with bits would be liability, IMO, simply because the bits could be lost or forgotten if you take your kit to work on a PC elsewhere - besides the regular screwdriver is much cheaper. Also, keep a collection of various screws, standoffs, etc, around. I have mine in a small pill bottle.

As far as outside of the PC itself goes, it has paid for me to have a RJ-11 crimper along with the ends. In this day and age, I'd like to get a RJ-45 crimper and ends as well, but I haven't been able to locate a tool that I like for that end (that isn't $50). Then of course, a knife or other stripping or cutting tool would be useful as well as an outlet tester, in case you need to check that to debug a problem.

Pay mind, though, that the key question of what kind of tools you'll want for what you do will be paramount - if you have the electronics knowledge to work on power supplies, I'm sure there will be a whole new set of tools. I'm just thinking of all the PC oriented stuff that I've ever done.

I don’t know, but I’m missing some info here; is this on-site or in a workshop?

I use just:

- 3 sizes of Phillips screw drives.

- 3 sizes of flatbed screw drivers.

- Precision screw driver tool set, if possible also with Torx.

- Telephone pliers.

- Cutter with break-off blades.

- Cutting Nipper.

- Network-cable assembling tool.

- 35watt soldering iron with fine tip (and if you are not so good at it, get your self a solder sucker too)

- Solder with wax core, fine.

- Shrink hose in 3 sizes and a (cigarette or stove) lighter.

- Tape, black isolating.

- Compressed air.

- Brush, fine and if possible with plastic edge/holder (metal parts could damage the components when dusting off).

- Mesure tape

- Multi Meter

There you have your Basic tool kit ;).

I used a nut-driver smaller than that at times to tighten the connections on expansion cards, but beyond that, I haven't needed much more.
I use one also to tighten bras-busses to hold the motherboard.

That too. I keep compressed air around as well. Speaking of which, what do you all use the other stuff beyond what I listed for? Like the soldering iron? I can't say I've ever run into anything that I've really needed one for when it comes to the inside of a computer case. I can see it, perhaps, for tying power wire together or fixing power supply sockets, but can't think of much more.

What I was talking about earlier are Kelly Forceps. Don't remember where I got my pair, but they were cheap enough at the time (I think I gave 50c or something for them):

98FCP47-4_d.jpg

Speaking of which, what do you all use the other stuff beyond what I listed for? Like the soldering iron? I can't say I've ever run into anything that I've really needed one for when it comes to the inside of a computer case. I can see it, perhaps, for tying power wire together or fixing power supply sockets, but can't think of much more.
You would not believe it, but I replace even bad capacitors my self (to give the customer a chance to switch to a new motherboard if possible but not keeping his/her PC from him/her. Also half broken USB port, PS/2 ports, sound ports and more.

What more looks uncommon too you?