Your Vista SP 1 experience

Guest bunnny

I have a Service Pack currently installed, however, I am not sure what version it is. How do I find this out?

Do I need to uninstall it before installing the current RTM build?

I tried installing IE 8 beta 1, but I get a message stating:

"The installation does not support your operating system's current Service Pack version."

When I right-click Computer and select properties it says I have Service Pack 1, v.688.

I tried Vista on release day and i thought it was crap... explorer.exe was like a **cannot find language appropriate for these forums**.. every time you asked it to do anything there was that green flowing bar of death.. and when vista tried to automatically shuffle folders when you renamed them had some sort of mutant lag on it where a different file gets renamed and all sorts of weird stuff... and i was afraid to open some of my larger folders cas of how sad it ran... how can opening folders rattle a 3ghz core2duo - 4GB - WD RE2 hdd...

but erm bout 2 weeks ago I isntalled Vista Ultimate x64 SP1... and like wow! ;) I've only encountered two bugs... one with nero and when I create an ISO from files on my hdd.. the speed starts of 70,000KB/s but after not long grinds down to under 1,000KB/s... but i guess thats nero anyways (as changing software fixes it)... the other bug I've come across is using Remote Desktop Connection to view an XP Pro machine i get garbage on the screen... see screenshot here (note: the software involved in this screenshot is not the only text affected, explorer windows are among others) this never happened using XP x64 Pro to view this same XP 32 Pro machine... sometimes words will be replaced with other words found somewhere else in the desktop (same words but new font appropriate to where they appear).. really weird.. but this does not affect any data totally a cosmetic error..

Other than that and playing Crysis on DX10/Very High/1680x1050 @ 18-28fps which is verry upsetting indeed.... I lurrrv Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 now...

Edited by gaspah

noticed you have VNC on your other computer do you get the same result when loggin on with vnc instead of RDC?

whoa... shows how often i change the OS on good ol' Raptor.. I haven't had VNC installed on my main machine in over 6 months... I'll load it up and have a look, but they both handle the display very differently so i doubt they'll have similar results..

the results are intermittent so i could be waiting forever ;)

ahh see it's done it again.. this time with words...

if you notice the timecodes on the program directly relate to an explorer window open on the Vista desktop.....

great VNC is letting me access the logon screen for Raptor but after I enter the password the program exits without notification... :thumbup

Edited by gaspah

This isn't related to this post, but you cannot install IE8 B1 on Vista unless it's running RTM or SP1 release - no SP1 beta will allow install.

I work with IE8 b.1 on Vista Enterprise SP1 RTM without problems.

I have a Service Pack currently installed, however, I am not sure what version it is. How do I find this out?

Do I need to uninstall it before installing the current RTM build?

When I right-click Computer and select properties it says I have Service Pack 1, v.688.

Yes. You should uninstall SP1 RC v.688

• 2 months later...

My husband and I are new system builders. Our first experience was with Windows Home Server, which was in a very basic hardware configuration. Anyway, our specs are an ASUS motherboard PK5-E/WiFi-AP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghtz, 2 gigbyte (adding more soon) 300 gigabyte SATA hard disk, ATI HD 2600 Pro video card, Creative SB X-Fi HD sound card, Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet Controller, Realtek RTL8187 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter, flopy disk drive, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111C ATA disk drive, Agere OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394FireWire and other goodies just for starters, with a Antec 500 Watt PS, and an Antec case which rocks. In our humble and inexperienced opinions anyway. lol

We installed Vista Ultimate about a month ago, and then installed SP1 two weeks later. I must say that the system does seem snappier with SPI than without. I fully understand most of the fixes in SP1 are under the hood, and have read up on what they are and what they fix.

Our installation went smooth and completed in under fifteen minutes. I think this is mostly due to the fact our Vista installation was so new. Not a lot had been added to the system, so there wasn't a lot to work around.

Everything runs fine, not a single hitch. I have spent a great deal of time getting to know Vista Ultimate. I think Vista is a huge improvement over XP Pro. This system almost takes care of itself. I like the Problem Reports and Solutions, the revamped Event Viewer and Proformance utilities, and even the UAC is worthy of getting use to working with. My only complaint is I believe Vista should enable SATA without having to go through the hassle of "adding additional drivers". Due to our newness, we did not know we needed to add those drivers and so our SATA hard disk is actually running as IDE, and can only be changed by a full reinstallation.

Thanks for starting this thread, this is my very first post in this group. This topic is a good way for me to get my feet wet here. I found the group through pure chance, and hope to receive some help on the SATA driver installation.

SerenityRee

• 1 month later...

i find it still has the file transfer speed problems and explorer reliablity problems. to copy files from my usb 2 hard drive to my sata2 hard i get speeds of 7-10kb/s YES kb/s..... then it becomes unresponsive after about 5 mins

SP1 to me has made no difference in performance.... im begining to think vista x64 is a lame duck.... am going back to xp sp3 for now until either vista x64 is fixed (sp2 or 3) or windows 7 or whatever vista's replacement is gonna be called comes out...........which ever happens first.

i wish Autodesk would make AutoCAD for Ubuntu x64......... i would make the switch in a heartbeat...

just copied a 9mb file and it is about 14 mins in its still not copied this is complete rubbish ---- 17kb/s what a load of crap this vista x64 sp1 is

Edited by Nothingbetter2do

this ops sys is rubbish

Yes. The OS must be rubbish! It couldn't be a driver issue (USB or mass storage) or anything like that :rolleyes:

While I haven't used Vista pre-SP1 (that might have had issues), I'm just not seeing the transfer speed problems you're having. My transfer speeds between SATA drives (pushing over 100MB/sec sustained), SATA drives and USB2 external stuff (less speed, mostly limited by the garbage USB chipsets in enclosures or flash write speeds), and over the network aren't much different than XP's overall.

I've never seen anyone with such slow transfers on any box, using any version of windows before, or any other OS for that matter (unless you want to include laplink transfer speeds on a 486 in the contest?) That should tell you something -- it's not a Vista problem, something is definitely wrong with your box (either the hardware, bad drivers, or something along those lines).