Your Vista SP 1 experience

Guest bunnny

I grabbed SP1 when the original RTM leak happened, so I've had it installed for almost 14 days now. It's a dual core Athlon laptop /w 1gb of ram and iirc a 6xxx Nvidia. I have Aero and the Widget Sidebay disabled, which are the two biggest reasons for Vista "bloat".

My wife uses the laptop and I noticed when she plays 2nd Life in a Window, after SP1, it nearly doubled her frame rate (but it worked fine in fullscreen). File copying across the network seemed faster (as it's suppose to). She uses the laptop easily 8hrs a day total, so I'd say SP1 is both stable and good.

I didn't make it a point to do before/after benchmarks, I'm talking purely as a "how it feels" experience. I haven't been the biggest fan of Vista, but I'd say between disabling those two features and SP1, Vista is not that bad actually. I plan on running it on the new desktop I'm building.

Made the plunge and moved to vista 64 bit, C2D w/ 4 gig of ram. everything flies, they only item i could not get working was my old creative webcam (driver issues and wasn't supported or going to be) got a cheap live cam and it works good. games are fast, response times in all applications are amazing. i have yet to run into an app that i cannot run which suprised me the most. Anyone on the edge, take the plunge it is worth it

Downloaded mine from MSDN ("Top Downloads").

The full SP1 integrated DVDs are being posted to MSDN now. I'm currently downloading the x86 Business/Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate ISO (it's the only one currently available). :thumbup

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

The full SP1 integrated DVDs are being posted to MSDN now. I'm currently downloading the x86 Business/Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate ISO (it's the only one currently available). :thumbup

Eew... 32-bit. The only reason I've got that on my laptop is because my CPU doesn't support 64-bit... all my other systems are getting moved to 64-bit Vista SP1 when I get some free time this term... likely in May. :wacko:

Well, if I install SP1 on my asus laptop it will boot up only once and then if you shut it down and then boot back up, you cant. It blue screens with an error about the registry being corrupted.

I've confirmed it 4 times in a row, Microsoft is working on a fix. Then again I notified them about it during the beta too (over 6 months ago).

Got a download finally :)

Did a total clean install installed drivers then SP1. Haven't had much time to play with it but just under 45 minutes to install! They better slow for the buying of the updated disk similar to what they did with the 64bit editions. They should make the disks free do to the fact they removed slipstreaming capability from it.

Edited by kutster

I have had SP1 since they released it on connect. I enjoy that Vista is now a little more faster.

The only thing I didnt like was how long it took to install SP1 on Vista RTM. I was glad when MS

placed a ISO of Vista with SP1 intergrated, on connect so now I do not have to install SP1 on to

my RTM Vista. I do not like the way you have to intergrate SP1 to Vista seems like to much work.

Notice a definite change on speed :thumbup I used Vista before, then went back to XP cause it was so sluggish. Installed Vista with SP1 now, things just pop up! The only thing I hate about it is that I can't change the user document location like I was able to in XP. Too many registry settings to play with and I don't feel like doing that. Rather just point a folder to another drive. Oh well, can't have everything.

my antivirus , McAfee enterprise runs a lot smoother, of course I'm not sure if this is due to an update with McAfee or SP1

I don't have superfetch crashes like i was having with RTM

does seem to be better

How much hard drive space does SP1 eat up anyway? Just curious.

Notice a definite change on speed :thumbup I used Vista before, then went back to XP cause it was so sluggish. Installed Vista with SP1 now, things just pop up! The only thing I hate about it is that I can't change the user document location like I was able to in XP. Too many registry settings to play with and I don't feel like doing that. Rather just point a folder to another drive. Oh well, can't have everything.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve, you can still relocate your documents folder quite simply:-

From Explorer:

Select your "Documents" folder

Right Click

Select Properties

Select Location

Change to another location as required.

Graham.