bigger monitor means less scroll bars?

colore

hello

one simple question:

it's the first time I will buy monitor > 15"

I suppose it depends on resolution, but roughly? is the above statement true?

thanks

PS: big monitor would mean more eyeball movements, right? is this causing eye strain?

The bigger monitor is generally a better thing, but the two things I think you would need to look at as well are resolution (bigger the better, and yes less scroll bars generally) and response time (lower the better).

What you will find in the market will be much better (like night and day) than your 15".

I suppose it depends on resolution, but roughly? is the above statement true?

Higher resolution, less scroll bar. :yes:

Bigger monitor with same resolution (like going from 17" to 19") will only get you exactly the same but slightly bigger image with exactly the same scroll bars. Of course, if your sight is not that good and you don't use the native resolution (like you'd use 1024x768 on a 17"), having a bigger monitor could allow you to be confortable with the native and higher resolution.

PS: big monitor would mean more eyeball movements, right? is this causing eye strain?
That depends on how far you are from your screen, if its 10cm I would say "yes, more movement", but at 60cm it’s way less ;).

I have two 24" monitors on my desk at work, both running 1920x1200. I've had this setup for about 3 years or so now. I have never had any sort of eye strain with this setup, even when I've had multiple applications open on both monitors for hours on end.

I have two 24" monitors on my desk at work, both running 1920x1200. I've had this setup for about 3 years or so now. I have never had any sort of eye strain with this setup, even when I've had multiple applications open on both monitors for hours on end.

I've got two 20" monitors at 1680x1050 a piece at home... no eyestrain here either... but I still hate you. :P

Got the tax check back last weekend, and a nice new Dell 3008FPW showed up this morning (glad I'm sick from work today - this wasn't supposed to be here until Wednesday of next week!). It's far wider than my two 17" monitors that are now flanking the 30", and it's gonna be hard to go back to my 2x20" setup at work :).

As to the OP, if you run a bigger monitor at it's native resolution, yes, scroll bars should be diminished because windows can be far larger, displaying more on screen at once and thus the need to scroll less.

Having a monitor that beats 2x17" without the annoying frames of the monitors in the middle of your dual-mon display is really, really nice too. Buy the biggest LCD you can afford, you won't regret it - if you get a REALLY nice monitor, it should survive a few different PC refreshes too ;).

a nice new Dell 3008FPW showed up this morning
Ooooooooh...those are supposed to be really nice, too. I have the original 2407WFP and couldn't be happier (unless of course I had the newer HC version...or the new 2408WFP....or the 3008WFP). :D
if you get a REALLY nice monitor, it should survive a few different PC refreshes too ;) .
That's why I don't skimp on my monitor purchase anymore. I did that with the first two and then realized that I upgrade them far less than any other component of my PC so since then I've done exactly what you said...purchased the best/biggest LCD I can afford at the time of purchase.

Dell also has a new Premium Panel Guarantee:

Dell monitors are designed and built to our highest standards, providing the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo. Each has been exhaustively tested and comes backed by a Dell Limited Warranty. Unyielding commitment to quality and the satisfaction of our customers has driven Dell to offer a Premium Panel Guarantee ensuring replacement of UltraSharp series monitors with zero bright pixels. Even if only one bright pixel is found, a free panel exchange is guaranteed during the limited warranty period, so you can rest assured your investment is protected.
Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Dell monitors are designed and built to our highest standards, providing the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo. Each has been exhaustively tested and comes backed by a Dell Limited Warranty. Unyielding commitment to quality and the satisfaction of our customers has driven Dell to offer a Premium Panel Guarantee ensuring replacement of UltraSharp series monitors with zero bright pixels. Even if only one bright pixel is found, a free panel exchange is guaranteed during the limited warranty period, so you can rest assured your investment is protected.
What about dead pixels?

They don't fix monitors with a dead pixel or two by default, but being a royal PITA got me a new 2407 when I had that (before the "new" warranty statement), just like with any other Dell component - persisitence pays when you've got something from Dell that works, but not 100% the way you expect. Eventually they'll "pay out" to get you to go away, at least that's been my experience with their desktops and the higher-end LCDs.

You're right, they will replace it...you just have to be very persistent. My first 2407 had a single dead sub-pixel--barely noticeable. Fortunately my power button crapped out within 2 weeks so I got it replaced under the Advanced Exchange warranty I have and the new panel has zero dead/stuck/bright pixels.

But yeah...at least that can be said for Dell. Most of them will tell you to get bent no matter how persistent you are. I've been dealing with Dell for over a decade now and I can say that I've never walked away unsatisfied. Sometimes it took being a serious PITA, but it was always resolved in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you just change the scrollbar size? Have WinXP and can do it, don't know why couldn't do it with Vista. Go to _Display Properties_ then _Appearance_ click on _Advanced_ then click on _Item_ and scroll down to Scrollbar and resize. By the way using UltraMon 3.0 Beta 2.1 and really like it.

If this doesn't switch with an LCD then I'll stick with my 3 Dell 17" flat CRT's thank you. I used to have a Sony 24" wide screen CRT ( wdm* something ) that was great and at the time all LCD's looked like crap and did for years afterwards. Anyone have one of these at work or at home and now use a new LCD at work or home and like the LCD better? Someone offered to buy me a 19" Widescreen LCD last year for birthday but I didn't want it. Do LCD's improve like CPU chips ( Moore's Law )? Actually I forgot I do have an LCD but it's an old Sony 15" one, and I did have it as my 4th monitor but it hurts my eyes too much.

Yes, I assume ( I hope ) if you have a 30" LCD with 2 $600 cards in SLI then it will look good, but I don't want SLI even if I could afford it. But have to look into that SLI and dual monitor bug thing and see what's happening with that. Planning on selling 3-5 PC's and getting a Quad Core & ....