Anyway to make SP3 look like Sp2 to install program?

SpeedEuphoria

Well I recently made a slipstream xp cd w/ many addons including SP3 build 3300(just stuff that other people made because I'm a newb at this). So everything is fine and I love how nice of setup nlite gave me unattended. Anyway i go to install one particular program "Pinnacle Studio 11" and it says in needs SP2 and quits. So like I said I'm a newb but I have come across a couple files that say SP3, can I change these to be labeled SP2 for the install of this program, and which would I change? I looked on Pinnacle's site and they are aware of the prob but since SP3 is not "official" yet they haven't made any work around yet.

Thanks in advance

Apperantly the installation looks for certain files and checks their versions. These files are replaced by SP3, so their version is not what your installation is expecting and therefore quits. You would have to find out which files your installation checks and replace those with their SP2 counterparts, but if you would replace these files afterwards again with the SP3 versions, your program might not function anymore either. Besides this, finding out which files need to be replaced and the whole process replacing these files is such a hassle and since you state that you're new at this, I would not advise it. SP3 is currently still in a testing fase. It's only advised for testing purposes and not recommended for people who are new at this either. In other words, you're out of luck I'm afraid and you'll need to reinstall, as downgrading from a slipstreamed version is not possible for as far as I know.

Well according to Pinnacle's web site it will work with SP3 as long as its installed before, but will not currently work installing on a SP3 setup.

I basically was just asking if there were a couple(like 3-4) files that were labeled as SP2 or 3 or whatever and I could change them for the setup then change them back. I dont know the files so I guess I will contact them unless anyone else has a hint for me to try.

yeah, like Arie said, unless you know exactly what files pinacle is looking at, there's no way to know what you'd need to change. pinacle would have to tell you.

Edited by rendrag

I basically was just asking if there were a couple(like 3-4) files that were labeled as SP2 or 3 or whatever and I could change them for the setup then change them back. I dont know the files so I guess I will contact them unless anyone else has a hint for me to try.

2 SpeedEuphoria

i had a problem with XPLite (it didn't run on SP3). i know it's not pinnacle, but solution may work for U too.

i've changed reg keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"CSDVersion"="Service Pack 2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]

"CSDVersion"=dword:00000200

restart required

Edited by amnesia

2 SpeedEuphoria

i had a problem with XPLite (it didn't run on SP3). i know it's not pinnacle, but solution may work for U too.

i've changed reg keys:

restart required

You sir are my hero. It worked. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm not really into messing with the registry but I'm not scared to make some changes. I changed it like you said, restarted then installed, changed it back, restarted and all is well.

Thank you much

• 2 months later...

2 SpeedEuphoria

i've changed reg keys:

restart required

Found this Forum thread when searching for a solution to the XPLite problem--Thanks amnesia.

Having done this my PC now thinks it is running SP2 (Right click My Computer)

Is this likely to cause any problem with Windows Update or anything else for that matter?.

Peter

Edited by Take5

• 2 months later...
Found this Forum thread when searching for a solution to the XPLite problem--Thanks amnesia.

Having done this my PC now thinks it is running SP2 (Right click My Computer)

Is this likely to cause any problem with Windows Update or anything else for that matter?.

Peter

Change back after you are finished otherwise (like me) you may end up with M$ keep trying to sell you SP3 and/or related updates.

Before I changed mine I ''exported'' it, then did the same after I changed it, now I have a simple 2 click method to go back and forth to SP2 ~ SP3 via a simple regedit.