outlook address book shortcut

net_user

is there a way to create a shortcut on the desktop to the outlook 2003 address book so users don't have to click on the address book in outlook...just a shortcut on the desktop or quick launch bar?

our current setup is exchange server....

thanks in advance..

I've asked this question on a few forums, and have never been given an answer. However, you can share contacts with your OE address book, and then make a shortcut to that address book.

thanks for the reply...but we are not using outlook express...we are using outlook 2003 and exchange 2003 server.....

create a shortcut with the following location:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office<insert version number here>\OUTLOOK.EXE” outlook:contacts

i.e. I have office 2007, so to link to my contact list, here's the shortcut I'd create

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE” outlook:contacts

Edited by rendrag

create a shortcut with the following location:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office<insert version number here>\OUTLOOK.EXE” outlook:contacts

i.e. I have office 2007, so to link to my contact list, here's the shortcut I'd create

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE” outlook:contacts

thanks for the reply...but the contacts in the user mailbox is not what i want...what i want is the global address book on the exchange server..

in outlook it is..tools\address book

the address book does not pull from the contacts...but from active directory...ect...

• 7 years later...

Apparently Outlook MUST be running to access the GAL, and there's no way to activate the GAL through scripting.  We used to be able to at least specify a VBA macro to run from the command line, but that's no longer possible.  So essentially, this is a fully MANUAL process now.

The only way I've found to accomplish this is to use a macro program.  Personally I use MacroExpress, put I'm sure AutoHotKey could do it too.  Basically you just need to launch Outlook if it isn't running, then hit Ctrl+Shift+B.  But I wanted to leave just the GAL window showing, so I did a little extra on mine:

1. If a window title containing " - Outlook" isn't running, set a variable to 5.  This will be the delay used later.
  2. If the program OUTLOOK.EXE is running, activate that window, otherwise launch it.
  3. Type in CTRL+SHIFT+B - This is the hotkey to open the Global Address List in Outlook.
  4. Delay X seconds, where X is the number set to the variable in step 1.  This allows time for Outlook to load if it wasn't running.  On my PC 5 seconds is overkill, but you never know.
  5. Minimize the window whose title contains " - Outlook".  This minimizes Outlook, leaving the GAL window open.

If you find a better way, be sure to let us know.  I've actually been asked this question a dozen or so times, so I know we're not the only ones who'd like the functionality!

- AzDayton - Fri. 09/25/2015 @ 09:19:50