Universal 19V Charger good for lower Voltages?

Justas

Not quite sure what to search for to get this answer, so I am gonna post here to hope for an answer.

Can a 19V Universal Notebook Power Adapter work on any notebook <=19V? By work I mean it will not lower the life of the battery or cause any damage. The Adapter has a compatibility list on their website, which is fairly short. However my boss wants me to get some information to back his theory that if you put a 14V (just an example!) notebook onto this adapter it will work fine.

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

would it just eventually kill the battery?

It's not just the battery that you have to worry about...it's all of the components in the laptop. As puntoMX said...you could (probably would) end up frying the entire thing. Remember, computer components are very sensitive to massive voltage changes and 5V is a lot to those components.

Yea I figured it would not work. Just thoguht that maybe the battery would have some protection on it to prevent over voltage to the rest of the components.

Thanks for the replies... finally convinced my boss to buy a good adapter that will regulate the voltages rather than just tun at 19v...