Media Center on Server 2008

daveb34

Would it be possible to copy over vista media center to ws2008??

I copied the ehome folder over, but am guessing you need to do more than just this,

maybe some services need starting and some reg enteries need adding.

Anybody tried?

I would love to install media center on my 2008 server! I hope someone figures this out!

me too :)

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Since everyone got stuck at the same spot i'll at least post the two batch files i made for easy copying of files, though some tweaking is still needed for putting the files in the proper spots in the server 2008 installation. You will still run into the policy issues mentioned here, but the batch files grab the files easily.

More_MCE_Stuff.zip

Guest Time2End

We finally got Windows Media Center install on Windows Server 2008 but a last minute show-stopper bug emerge due to software restriction policy. If you would like to help complete the product you can download it here: http://www.msfn.org/board/post-a22409-More-MCE-Stuff.zip

1. run MCE from Vista.bat on Vista

2. copy C:\MCE from vista to C:\MCE in server 2008

3. run MCE to Server 2008.bat (or you can copy all files in C:\MCE to C:\)

4. run Media Center - Add.reg

If you run Windows Media Center you will get this error: Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information contact your system administrator.

mceerrorbu9.th.jpg

If somebody find a solution, let me know.

Edited by Time2End

Guest Time2End

To take a closer look at what is going on, I use Process Monitor from Microsoft and it show me that enshell.exe cannot find HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\App Management and HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\App Management. I take a look at a vista but it doesn't have that key either.

Edited by Time2End

• 1 month later...
Right, that's where we had left off, we all got stuck at that software restriction policy.

I have a few ideas for you to check out..

Local Security Policy.

Software Restriction Policy

New

Additional Rules.

Unrestricted.

Have you tried changing everything so that it runs from within c:\program files\ or c:\windows rather than the MCE directory?

(I haven't tried or looked at the batch file / install) Just some observations

Nothing gets logged over here when i try to start it.

I also tried the ProcessMonitor to check for some Policies restrictions etc but havent really found anything.

Also tried setting ALLOW MEDIA CENTER via computerdefaults.exe. NOTHING

Edited by dreamdx

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it is related or may help but someone I was talking to the other day said that they where having a problem with a package they where deploying which had the same guid as an existing package and the error they got sounded very much like this error. Don't know if it will help but maybe someone can look to see if their is a guid issue for Media Center and something else that exists in Server 2008

• 1 month later...

Im hav some Problem we here:

If you run Windows Media Center you will get this error:

Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy.

For more information contact your system administrator.

If somebody find a solution, let me know.

Hav anyone a Solution found for this problem ?

• 2 weeks later...
To take a closer look at what is going on, I use Process Monitor from Microsoft and it show me that enshell.exe cannot find HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\App Management and HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\App Management. I take a look at a vista but it doesn't have that key either.

what does it say in the event viewer (specifically).