Media Center on Server 2008

daveb34

The problem I seem to be having is getting the services started, whether related to the policy issues or not. Whenever i click on them, i get an error message saying something to the effect of the device associated with the service not being present. Near as I can tell this has to do with the LEGACY entries for those services unable to be imported to the registry (those were the errors in the reg file that prevented import), though I will try to remove the enum key in the regular service entry and see if the registry will repopulate those instances automatically. The error pops up if you try to view the properties of the service, and upon trying to start the service it just throws back an error saying it did not repspond in a timely fashion. I also had to import the pnp-x ip bus enumerator service due to it being a dependancy of the windows media center extender service. Not sure if that service is a necessity yet, but I'm trying to be all inclusive here.

ive just purchased the enterprise edition and was hoping that media center would be included.

I fail to understand why desktop features would be included in a server operating system. That's just additional cost overhead that 99.99999% of us don't want/need in our server OSes.

Personally, I never saw the reason for people to run Server 2003 as a desktop OS. I could understand some perceived benefit since it has a newer kernel than XP SP2. But Server 2008 and Vista SP1 have the same kernel. Yes, some things are tuned a bit differently, but they're more geared towards making server-based applications work faster. If you want the desktop features, buy the desktop OS.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree... I was checking out a few other forums and so forth and someone was complaining and stating how 2008 "sucks" because their favorite game would not install/run on it.

If you need Desktop OS features, why run a Server OS? Just because it is the latest and greatest? :P

Hi guys,

I use AMD64 proccesor, instead of x86.

I've copied all files listed in your list (x86 files changes into amd64 files) from Vista Ultimate installation to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.

I've also imported all the registry keys you've provided (also, modified to suit my proccesor) - had to grant administrators access to many keys.

When I try to launch Media Center, I get the software restriction policy error (same as you wrote here).

I trieid adding the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMediaCenter - MediaCenter (DWORD 32 BIT) = 0 value, but the error box keeps appearing and won't bother launcing my media center :(.

Do you have any other suggestion how to KILL this message box ?

Thanks ahead,

Effy.

Does anybody finished this project; watchting tv at server 2008 via Vista Media Center?

Dexter: Do you have a newer/better version of this MCE.zip? I get an error when I want to add to the registery....

I would be gratefull if some one can tell me how to do this. I just want to use the Vista Media Center on Server 2008 to stream the Live TV to my XBOX 360 elite.....

:thumbup:wacko:

Does anybody finished this project; watchting tv at server 2008 via Vista Media Center?

Dexter: Do you have a newer/better version of this MCE.zip? I get an error when I want to add to the registery....

I would be gratefull if some one can tell me how to do this. I just want to use the Vista Media Center on Server 2008 to stream the Live TV to my XBOX 360 elite.....

I still can't find what's preventing it from working.. i'm quite sure we're missing something here, after the "policy" issue my RSoP (Resultant Set of Policy) is unusable. Any ideas? I still don't understand how the policies are related to the registry data

Hey Guys -

I know someone in an earlier post mentioned that they were getting the messages that their tuner card couldn't be communicated with. I have solved that problem on my system with the following set of commands:

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax

regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax

regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax

regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax

regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax

regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax

regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

regsvr32 /s bdaplgin.ax

regsvr32 /s ksxbar.ax

regsvr32 /s psisrndr.ax

regsvr32 /s WSTPager.ax

I grabbed those files from my Vista 32-bit install and it works (they will be under system32 and need to be copied to system32 on your 2008 install.) You can put the commands in a batch file for ease of running them. It just registers a whole bunch of ax filter files that aren't registered by default. My TV (Hauppauge HVR-1600) now works in DScaler, but I still can't get the WinTV software working.

Hope this helps someone.

I still can't find what's preventing it from working.. i'm quite sure we're missing something here, after the "policy" issue my RSoP (Resultant Set of Policy) is unusable. Any ideas? I still don't understand how the policies are related to the registry data

Maybe an stuppid idea. But is it possible to copy and overwrite every file from Vista to Server 2008. And just copy the Registery of Vista to Server 2008 and overwrite everything?

Then is must be working... If NOT, it's not possible.... I Suppose....

The regserv32.exe command... That registers some file, does he save that in the Registery :S ?

I think if we test this, we get an Vista machine with some extra (not over-written) files. Everything must be the same as Windows Vista...

Is this possible?

And your program w-desing, is the VMWare workstation needed? When I start the wizard: "New Acquisition", I can't "browse" to the files :S

Hey Guys -

I know someone in an earlier post mentioned that they were getting the messages that their tuner card couldn't be communicated with. I have solved that problem on my system with the following set of commands:

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax

regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax

regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax

regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax

regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax

regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax

regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

regsvr32 /s bdaplgin.ax

regsvr32 /s ksxbar.ax

regsvr32 /s psisrndr.ax

regsvr32 /s WSTPager.ax

I grabbed those files from my Vista 32-bit install and it works (they will be under system32 and need to be copied to system32 on your 2008 install.) You can put the commands in a batch file for ease of running them. It just registers a whole bunch of ax filter files that aren't registered by default. My TV (Hauppauge HVR-1600) now works in DScaler, but I still can't get the WinTV software working.

Hope this helps someone.

You're wrong your Card it's working because it's a CX2388x card and it's using DScaler's own drivers (NO WDM drivers ?!) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any CX2388x & SAA713x Cards it will work with DScaler 4.1.17 on a tipical (out of the box) install of Windows Server 2008 Standard Trial x86 & x64 + drivers !!! All you have to do it's to say yes when DScaler it's asking you if it should use his own drivers instead of typical (WDM?!) drivers !

The Proof is the fact that your app (WinTV software) it's not working!!!!

Edited by Mercury_22

Guest xlnet

I was wondering... If vlite can remove Media Center from Vista iso, there should be a way to add it to Windows 2008 ISO. The question is - how :rolleyes:

There is no performace benefit in running server os, but it's very useful for laptop when you can't have access to development server and you need to test a code...

I was wondering... If vlite can remove Media Center from Vista iso, there should be a way to add it to Windows 2008 ISO. The question is - how :rolleyes:

There is no performace benefit in running server os, but it's very useful for laptop when you can't have access to development server and you need to test a code...

I have already compared the list of stuff to be added against what vLite does and there are all in there. The problem is the component policy that doesn't allow you to run Media Center.

Same codebase means same policy... when they built the distributions they opted in for a particular set of components and tied it to the policy.

Removing is not a problem because the policy grants you the right of executing those components. But adding is quite useless if you are not allowed to run components not included in the policy.

Btw, does anybody have any idea what wcm://Microsoft-Windows-Licensing-Server-Enterprise?version=6.0.6001.18000&language=neutral&processorArchitecture=x86&publicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35&versionScope=nonSxS&scope=allUsers does?

Edited by dexter.inside

would it be possible when...?

load reghive

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\*everything mce needed*

setting owner to the "server sku" like the other ones!?

dont have time to test it

but i think it will work!

• 2 weeks later...

hi

maybe media center is impossible on server 08 at this moment. but does anybody knows how get bda support on server 2008. i just need my tv tuner to work on server the way it does on vista, and then i can use a third party application to watch tv.

thanks

Would it be possible to copy over vista media center to ws2008??

I copied the ehome folder over, but am guessing you need to do more than just this,

maybe some services need starting and some reg enteries need adding.

Anybody tried?

I would love to install media center on my 2008 server! I hope someone figures this out!