Unattended install questions (Beginner)

Hi,

Ok.

Another question, as I want my profiles to be in the D: DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS instead of the Windows default C partition, then I will do the following under this below:

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings"

But, when I do an installation from scratch (meaning NOT over the existing OS) , then how will the installation detect any LOGICAL PARTITION (such as D)???

I dont understand the point.....

Also when installing 2000, What if I want to set or create a particular size for the Windows C Partition MANUALLY?

Like for example, suppose I have total HDD of 80GB and I want to set or create MANUALLY half the size of that, then do I have to set AUTOPARTITION to (0) or (1)??,

I DO NOT want the installation to do this automatically because I rather do that part myself...

Please advise that Im not using any FLOPPY for the WINNT.SIF file...I created a separate BOOTABLE 2000 cd...

Edited by andyv01

Can you please explain in a bit more detail?

I want Windows to automatically put the Documents and Settings onto the D partition....instead of the default C partition.

Now will I have to create before hand the D Logical Partition or I dont have to???

Can I have the Unattend installation do this without having to create the D Partition before hand???

Please explain in detail. This is for a clean Win2000 install from scratch.

Edited by andyv01

You either have to create and format the partitions before you perform the install. Or you create the C: and D: partition during the drive installation selection and then format the D: partition during t-39. D: has to be formatted before T-13.

I dont think the Windows installation part allows you to create another extended or logical partition within the Windows installation. Its always the C drive that get created. Can you please explain this?

Or....did you mean by where it says UNPARTITIONED SPACE (in Windows Install), do I need to select that in order to create my D partition and format it???

Also whats T13 and T39?

Edited by andyv01

If you manually create your partitions during the windows install and select a parition size for c: which is less than the full size of the drive you can select the remaining 'unpartitioned space' and create another partition. then when you return to the list select the first partition for the windows install. Unfortunately in microsofts infinite wisdom (insert extreme sarcasm here) you can only format the drive that windows is installed to. So you have to format the second partition yourself later during the install. Thus the T-39 stage, see http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/ for the installation timeline.

Or you other option is to partition and format the drive before you begin your install from windows or bart PE.

Ok, I have one other issues with this though.

I want my Profiles (as seen below) to be placed in the D partitiion.

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings"

Now how will I know WHICH DRIVE LETTER (when creating the other partition in the UNPARTITIONED SPACE) will it assign as my unattended answer file will look like the one above??

How can I ensure that the installation will place this profile under the D letter when creating a new partition under the UNPARTITIONED SPACED during install???

Edited by andyv01

I just did a test and it turns out if you partition it from the windows install the second partition will be assigned E: and the CD will be D: so it looks like you will have to partition before installing in order to get the drive order you desire.

Ok, thats OK.

So I have to just edit my winnt.sif file as this???

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="E:\Documents and Settings"

Is this correct??

But is this 100 percent sure that Windows will take the other partition as the E drive??

And another question...Does the winnt.sif require the quotation marks because some entries do have the quotation markings.

Edited by andyv01

As long as you don't have any other drives in the machine that show up when you are partitioning the drive then I would have to say yes. If you have other drives in the machine that show up in the install location selection/partition screen then there are no guarantees.

So if you don't mind your lettering to be:

c: - windows

d: - CD

e: - docs & settings.

Then that should be all you need to change.

Thanks for all your replies.

One last questions...

So, can you confirm if I have this right in my WINNT.SIF file? Is everything seem OK as below? Please confirm before I make a another Bootable CD.

This for Windows 2000 Pro. Does the winnt.sif require the quotation marks because some entries do have the quotation markings and some dont.

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=XXXXXXXX

AutoLogon=Yes