Get IP of a IP based device

playsafe

How can we get DSL modem's IP (Or other IP based devices like Wifi Router etc) if directly connected through Ethernet cable with a system.

If we dont have any idea of its current IP and it is already configured. I dont want to Reset the modem settings.

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all

Should tell you all you wish to know.

Default gateway is the ip address of the device. Copy and paste into browser and hit enter.

Now you will be taken to the devices admin control panel.

Most devices have simple default passwords which you should be able to easily finding searching with google.

Edited by war59312

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all

Should tell you all you wish to know.

Default gateway is the ip address of the device. Copy and paste into browser and hit enter.

Now you will be taken to the devices admin control panel.

Most devices have simple default passwords which you should be able to easily finding searching with google.

Thanks very much. Further I would also like to get help on following scenario.

For ex. in Vonage (VOIP device), it does not work as DHCP server. So my system would not get any IP assigned by this device.

What if we forget its ip after configuring it and don't want to reset it.

Hello,

Your router is the DHCP server, not your VoIP Vonage phone/hardware/whatever it is. So the vonage system will be getting its IP from the router.

If it is not getting one then something is wrong with either its settings or something is wrong on the router. Or bad cables/hardware.

So again your router is giving the phone the IP address. If you want to make sure you "can't" forget the vonage IP then dont use DHCP, use a static address on the phone. That is an address that never changes. So no way to "forget". Or if you do then you simply look what is set to on the phone.

Of another way to do it, is still still use DHCP but assign a static address to the MAC address of the phone. This way it will always be assigned via DHCP the same IP address.

Dont do it on both though, thats going over board and not needed. And while your at it why not simply right the IP address on the phone itself. In case you did forget it.

But no you never having to reset it anything just because you forgot the address. The router will tell you what IP address it assigned if using DHCP or static. And of course the phone will tell you to if you look though the settings.

Oh and I dont have vonage so not a clue what phone system they use. So cant say how you would go about setting up a static address on itself. So really I would simply setup the router to assign the static address instead. Then again if you forget the address you just look up that setting in the router.

Well, hope that helps...

Take Care,

Will

PS: Please don't quote my entire reply when your replying right after me. I'm not blind and it's considered rude. Of course if replying on a different page # then said previous reply, then it's fine to quote. Thanks! OH and you should never ever quote the original post. No one in their right mind skips the first page. Again it's just rude. Everyone has probably seen it a "million" times.