Testing addon maker and HFSLIP plugin for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0

Tomcat76

Here are two different scripts that handle Silverlight.exe. One is a standalone script to create an addon that is compatible with nLite and HFSLIP; the other is an HFSLIP plugin.

Info:

- full slipstream into source

- integration into Add/Remove Windows Components

- can be uninstalled and reinstalled from Add/Remove Windows Components

Current limitations:

- if Microsoft releases a new version of Silverlight 1.0 and you want to slipstream it into a new source, the script needs to be updated first; this is because the exact version number needs to be known and there is no usable text file inside the Silverlight.exe package that shows it

- 7za.exe is needed to extract Silverlight.exe

To do:

- fix the limitations (if possible) :)

Instructions to create the nLite/HFSLIP compatible addon:

See the readme.txt in Addon_Maker_Silverlight10_v4.zip

Instructions to use the HFSLIP plugin:

1) Create a subfolder inside the HFSLIP working folder named _EXTERNAL (if it doesn't yet exist)

2) Download Silverlight.exe from this page and place it in _EXTERNAL

3) Place 7za.exe in HFTOOLS; you can get it from 7za457.zip (7-Zip Command Line Version) from this page

4) Download HFSLIP_PRE_Silverlight10_v4.zip and extract HFSLIP_PRE_Silverlight10.cmd into HFTOOLS

5) Run HFSLIP

General notes:

1) The current version of this script was made to work with MS Silverlight version 1.0.30109.0 (timestamp: 9-Jan-2008).

2) Reinstallation requires the Windows CD to be in the CD drive so the files can be copied again.

3) Installation during Windows setup and uninstallation/reinstallation is taken care of by MSSLOC.INF. You can find this file uncompressed in the new I386 folder and in Windows\inf (after installation).

Changelog:

v4: removed obsolete reference from MSSLOC.INF

v3: uninstallation/reinstallation from Add/Remove Windows Components no longer requires a reboot (or log off and back on)

v2: updated description and added estimated size (3.1MB) for the entry in Add/Remove Windows Components

Edited by Tomcat76

It isn't a Type 2 hotfix. It's just that it installs automatically if you pass it a switch it doesn't understand. So it would behave in the same way if you placed it in HFSVCPACK_SW1.

This is the reason this script uses 7za.exe to extract it. So far, I haven't found another method.

New version coming up shortly with changed description and a meaningful estimated size (3.1MB) showing for the Add/Remove Windows Components entry.

Tried it yesterday using the 80218a test build. Placed the downloaded file in HFSLIP\_EXTERNAL, which I assumed you meant by "working folder", and the script in HFSLIP\HFTOOLS. When running HFSLIP I get an error message that the downloaded Silverlight file can't be found. I guess that "working folder" refers to another folder than the one I used. An "oops!" on my side ;) Can you please let me know where to place the _EXTERNAL folder?

That's strange, because the plugin doesn't display an error message if Silverlight.exe or 7za.exe couldn't be found; it exits silently:

IF NOT EXIST HFTOOLS\7ZA.EXE GOTO :EOF

IF NOT EXIST _EXTERNAL\Silverlight.exe GOTO :EOF

Only the addon maker displays a warning message in such case:

FOR %%I IN (7za.exe Silverlight.exe) DO IF NOT EXIST %%I (

ECHO %%I was not found in the current folder. Press any key to quit.

PAUSE >NUL&GOTO :EOF

)

This is the expected folder structure when using the HFSLIP plugin:

C:\HFSLIP\_EXTERNAL\Silverlight.exe

C:\HFSLIP\HFTOOLS\7za.exe

C:\HFSLIP\HFTOOLS\HFSLIP_PRE_Silverlight10.cmd

Spaces in the path for the HFSLIP working folder are of no importance because relative paths are used to get to those files.

Edited by Tomcat76

Strange indeed. I followed the following steps.

Instructions to use the HFSLIP plugin:

1) Create a subfolder inside the HFSLIP working folder named _EXTERNAL (if it doesn't yet exist)

2) Download Silverlight.exe from this page and place it in _EXTERNAL

3) Place 7za.exe in HFTOOLS; you can get it from 7za457.zip (7-Zip Command Line Version) from this page

4) Download HFSLIP_PRE_Silverlight10_v2.zip and extract HFSLIP_PRE_Silverlight10.cmd into HFTOOLS

5) Run HFSLIP

(Not important, but I will mention it anyway: I skipped the third step as I had already placed 7za.exe in the HFTOOLS folder at an earlier stage.)

I don't know... It's working here.

How large is Silverlight.exe? 1 454 656 bytes?

You can try to download it again, or to get the latest version of 7za.exe.

BTW... I fixed the reboot limitation. A new version of the plugin and the addon maker should be out in about an hour or so.

The Silverlight file seemed to be fine, but I re-downloaded it anyway to be certain. Updated 7ZIP as I wasn't using the latest version. Also used the latest test release of HFSLIP, which is one day newer than my previous one and I used the latest Silverlight script which you provided. And now everything went smooth, no errors! Now all I need to do is test Silverlight to see if it works. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up.

The only thing is that I'm not sure if this method of integration is really that favorable. It may look nice, but it's not very upgrade-friendly. Silverlight 1.1 is too different from Silverlight 1.0, and uninstalling Silverlight 1.0 (integrated with this plugin or addon) via Add/Remove Windows Components after you have manually installed Silverlight 1.1 could cause problems.