Toshiba to give up on HD DVD

MindTooth

Toshiba to give up on HD DVD, end format war: source

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high definition DVDs, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp, a company source said on Saturday.

The move will likely put an end to a battle that has gone on for several years between consortiums led by Toshiba and Sony vying to set the standard for the next-generation DVD and compatible video equipment.

The format war, often compared to the Betamax-VHS battle in the 1980s, has confused consumers unsure of which DVD or player to buy, slowing the development what is expected to be a multibillion dollar high definition DVD industry.

Toshiba's cause has suffered several setbacks in recent weeks including Friday's announcement by U.S. retailing giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) that it would abandon the HD DVD format and only stock its shelves with Blu-ray movies.

Source: Reuters (More at source.)

It was apparent to me that BluRay would emerge as victorious in this format war. Just because it had higher capacity than HD-DVD was probably the main reason why they were the leading consumer and gained more support from companies. HD-DVD was pretty much fighting a losing battle all along I guess.

Now that this format war has ended, hopefully BluRay might slash their prices on their products.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

HD has already lost the battle. BluRay comprises over 90% of all high def video sales these days... My next gaming console is likely going to be a PS3, partially for the games, and partially for the BluRay support out of the box.

I bought a PS3 recently exactly for theses reasons... however the gameplay if much more fun on the Wii!

HD has already lost the battle. BluRay comprises over 90% of all high def video sales these days... My next gaming console is likely going to be a PS3, partially for the games, and partially for the BluRay support out of the box.

Now that this format war has ended, hopefully BluRay might slash their prices on their products.

I doubt it, competition drives prices down. A monopoly usually means higher prices! :}

If BluRay tends to rise their prices because they eliminated the competition, they are insane. Nobody would want to buy one.

About $600 for a standalone player? Nah, too expensive. Well back then it was like $1000 - which is even more expensive. With that I could buy a computer. I rather buy a PS3 close to that price, not only it plays BluRay discs and you can play games. Its like BluRay is only for millionaires, not everybody is rich.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

Well some of the points above are why I am surprised by the current success of Blu-Ray. One of HD-DVDs big advantages was it could contain a dvd track that would work in existing dvd players albeit at dvd resolutions; it was also cheaper. I think what is happening is the early adaptors dont care about the cost so much and are buying PS3s. As cluberti said its not really over yet, my guess is 90% of the current hd consumers represent about 10% of the total market over the next few years. :)

@Thunderbolt 2864

I didn't necessarily mean that prices would go up (but then I wouldn't rule that out completely), it's just that the prices won't come down so quickly than if there was competition.

Edited by FAT64