Best CPU Rating

sameen

I looked at an Intel board a while back that had 8

My Asus P5B-E has eight...but it's six via the ICH8R southbridge and two more (one of them being eSATA) via an integrated JMicron controller. Odds are, the one you saw is the same way as the ICH7/8/9 southbridges only support up to six SATA ports. I believe that NVIDIA's and AMD/ATI's southbridges also only support up to six SATA ports.

680i mcp supports 4 , so does rd600, for intel socket 775 ati/nvidia boards.

The other 4 ports use another onboard raid controller. (Promise , etc)

I had a Asus Commando intel p965 chipset board, like p5b-e, it only had 6 sata ports, but ich8r only supports a max of 4 drivers per raid set, so you can't run a 6 drive raid with it. But you can run a 4 port raid and a 2 port raid.

My Asus Maximus Formula though, intel x38 chipset board, has ich9r, which shows (untested) that I can add 6 drives for a raid vs 4 on ich8r

Edited by gdogg

I only need 4 for RAID unless it takes more to run RAID 0+1 :hello:

I should have posted/spoke up before, I am learning alot over here. :thumbup

EDIT: I have since been reminded of the 3ware card that I need instead, lol. I only need 4 ports in light of this. :sneaky:

Edited by accessdenied042

EDIT: I have since been reminded of the 3ware card that I need instead, lol. I only need 4 ports in light of this. :sneaky:

The performance of the ich8r is much better then any cheap pci / pci-e raid card you will find. But if your looking to invest in a hardware raid card (ones with built in ram, intel processor) those are def worth the investment.

For a 4 drive raid 0 , on ich8r / ich9r , I get 2500MB/S + burst speeds (hdtach) and 260-300MB/S sustained

The performance of the ich8r is much better then any cheap pci / pci-e raid card you will find. But if your looking to invest in a hardware raid card (ones with built in ram, intel processor) those are def worth the investment.

For a 4 drive raid 0 , on ich8r / ich9r , I get 2500MB/S + burst speeds (hdtach) and 260-300MB/S sustained

Holy s***e! I can live with that. No 3ware needed. :thumbup

Yup nice part of ich8r also, is you can run a lets say a 60GB raid0 for OS/Gaming, then have a raid 1 for storage on the same drives.

Here is my 60GB raid 0 boot partition. Its 4 samsung spinpoint 250GB sata 2 from almost 2 years ago now, so my performance isn't upto date hardware.

post-32977-1204069753_thumb.jpg

Do you mean you can have RAID 0 and RAID 1 on the same disks, but different partitions? :blink:

Yup that seems to be what it says. You just setup one raid , lets say using 100GB raid 0. Then create another raid 1, select the same 4 drives but select a raid 1 this time.

Intel matrix storage manager also said something along those lines , setting it up from windows.

Edited by gdogg

Well, in a few months AMD will bring out a new revision of there 3 and 4 cored CPUs, this time at a higher speed and without the TLB (L3 cache "forgets" data simple said) problem.

AMD fanboys have been chanting "wait till next time" for almost 2 yrs now, and nothing AMD has brought to the table has ever compared. I wouldn't even say the stuff AMD has released recently even compares to the 1st generation Core 2 Duos. Don't hold you're breath, Intel is ahead of AMD by leaps and bounds.

PS: I'm no Intel fanboy, just a "what's best" fanboy. I'm still rocking my old AMD XP1700+ as I type this. But an Intel e8500 + Nvidia 9600 GT upgrade is about to happen any day now.

Edited by TravisO