Best AV for 98SE

CooledComputer

Try AVG Free, CC. You'll be amazed at how much of your machine Norton was gobbling up. They may be ending support later this year, but the upside is a lot of code, including virii, won't run on 98 anymore. Avast is supposed to be another good free one.

What AVG versions are you guys running, I ask because I tried it a while ago installing v7.5.432 and got a BSOD everytime I started an on-demand scan. I see the latest version is 7.5.516.

I also tried Avast 4.7 but the well documented problem there is the systray icons disappear when doing a full system scan.

Kaspersky v6 had 100% cpu usage as an issue.

Cheers

I also tried Avast 4.7 but the well documented problem there is the systray icons disappear when doing a full system scan.

Cheers

You are lucky. On my system the menubar and desktop icons disappear too. You can work around this by manually starting the build in Avast screensaver to do a full system scan. This is icon-safe. You can create a shortcut to AvastSS.scr to make this easy.

Edited by noguru

Many thanks for the info noguru.

You can work around this by manually starting the build in Avast screensaver to do a full system scan. This is icon-safe. You can create a shortcut to AvastSS.scr to make this easy.

I don't have Avast installed on my system now but for clarity you are saying start the scan from AvastSS.scr.

Do you double click on that file? Is that for a full scan only? what about scanning just single files or folders.

Cheers

PS Also tried

- Bit Defender 10, icons in system tray turned black, lock ups and 'bidlite' in ctrl-alt-del stopped responding

- AntiVir Free very sparse and apparently no HTTP scanning

- NOD32 which seemed to lock up on boot at desktop but I think that this was associated with my Second Chance recovery prog.

Edited by risk_reversal

You can work around this by manually starting the build in Avast screensaver to do a full system scan. This is icon-safe. You can create a shortcut to AvastSS.scr to make this easy.

I don't have Avast installed on my system now but for clarity you are saying start the scan from AvastSS.scr.

Do you double click on that file? Is that for a full scan only? what about scanning just single files or folders.

You can access the settings in displaysettings/screensavers in your control panel. You can choose to scan folders and drives but not single files. And yes just doubleclick on the file, it's in your system directory.

Btw, this icon thing is really annoying. It seems to me that this screensaver and the logviewer are the only part of Avast that are not affected. I just checked the program-settings screen cos I didn't remember that these screensaver settings are not there. And my startmenu and quicklaunchbar where blank. So I reboot...... And now I accessed the screensaver settings and I can reboot again.

Good thing Avast works fine in the background and that you don't really need to open the GUI :)

Well, I have a problem now...my university only allows me to use "certain" AV applications because I'm forced to use Cisco Clean Access *sends chills down spine* and AVG (which is also my favorite AV app) is not supported. My options are Symantec Norton AV, Trend-Micro AV, SoftWin BitDefender, McAfee or Computer Associates eTrust EZ AV (whatever that is). So, my question is which program is the least terrible (resource, stability, usability and effectiveness wise).

Here's the list: http://www.cisco.org.lv/univercd/cc/td/doc...1rn.htm#wp72834

I love using windows 98, but that combined with any of today's mainstream AV programs, well, they make me feel like I'm driving a Camero with 80HP, and a busted transmission.

>>Fredledingue, I guess that since no new script is being written for 98se running no AV is not so dangerous anymore.

My options are Symantec Norton AV, Trend-Micro AV, SoftWin BitDefender, McAfee or Computer Associates eTrust EZ AV (whatever that is). So, my question is which program is the least terrible (resource, stability, usability and effectiveness wise).

Well as I said above, when I trialed BitDefender 10 icons in the system tray turned black, there were lock ups and 'bidlite' in ctrl-alt-del stopped responding. Apparently, my experience was not an isolated example.

I still have a couple of 98se systems running Norton and have seledom have had any issues with them. Having said that it is the 2003 version, the last version which was not bloated. I think Norton stopped 98se support on the 2005 version.

Also add NOD32 to your list, I had issues with it but to do with a conflict with my imaging program.

Good Luck