Gaming Guide

Offler

tested this some time ago...

Rank 2:

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (windows version masq. for install + kernelx + patch 1.41 (i think))

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - Hammers of Fate (windows version masq. for install + kernelx + patch 2.0)

Rank 4:

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (with patch >= 1.5 - saving is not working anymore, no folder found)

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - Hammers of Fate (with patch 2.1 - saving is not working anymore, no folder found)

Supreme Commander (numerous missing exports)

Rank 3:

BTAS: Zak McKracken - between time and space (http://www.zak2.org/zak2/cms/front_content.php?idart=33&idcat=1&changelang=2) (wxWidgets bug for windows9x systems, worked around by kernelx)

Edited by shaddam

games able to run on Win9x with kernel ex go to "rank 2". if i understand your question...

also about HL2. i asked support if there should be added to steam a command line switch to skip OS check and try to run Steam on any system. i have to write down the missing exports for steamengine. if they shall be fixed steam and steam shall have a cmd line swith it could work even on Win9x with KEX.

Why not merge it with the Compatibility Database i started? It's useless to have 2 topics on the same thing. I'm running KernelEx 0.3.5.

On topic: Steam sucks. I am a moderator of a non-steam gaming forum and will always run non-steam. Steam CS 1.6 takes 1 minute to open on my main rig, non-steam CS 1.6 takes 3 seconds. Not mentioning Source games... Besides, HL2 is a singleplayer game. Why should i need an internet connection to play it?

I'll be back with my own crappy games list.

few months ago i bought HL2: EP1. during installation it required internet connection, steam installation and registration. since august 2007 is win9x not supported by steam so installation failed. Game itself is able to run in rank 1...

i would like to separate games from other more usable software, just because for better searching in database...

hl2 series is not the most important.the most important hl2 game is css and dods and tf2..

and a solution for playing hl2 games is that use no-setam(stand alone)game program..but it's not official.

games able to run on Win9x with kernel ex go to "rank 2". if i understand your question...

also about HL2. i asked support if there should be added to steam a command line switch to skip OS check and try to run Steam on any system. i have to write down the missing exports for steamengine. if they shall be fixed steam and steam shall have a cmd line swith it could work even on Win9x with KEX.

Why not merge it with the Compatibility Database i started? It's useless to have 2 topics on the same thing. I'm running KernelEx 0.3.5.

On topic: Steam sucks. I am a moderator of a non-steam gaming forum and will always run non-steam. Steam CS 1.6 takes 1 minute to open on my main rig, non-steam CS 1.6 takes 3 seconds. Not mentioning Source games... Besides, HL2 is a singleplayer game. Why should i need an internet connection to play it?

I'll be back with my own crappy games list.

few months ago i bought HL2: EP1. during installation it required internet connection, steam installation and registration. since august 2007 is win9x not supported by steam so installation failed. Game itself is able to run in rank 1...

i would like to separate games from other more usable software, just because for better searching in database...

hl2 series is not the most important.the most important hl2 game is css and dods and tf2..

and a solution for playing hl2 games is that use no-setam(stand alone)game program..but it's not official.

It walks under WITHOUT 2 HALF LIFE win98se KernelEX. It will suffice (will enough) to pull off version without steam i.e. versions in (to) emporio emule, then, it belongs to pull off under acting crack win98se. Send on forum for version crack emporio? It is in (to) it emule crack.

Edited by wentyl007

I want to warn you guys. do not mess up with cracks around this forum. when you own official version of software you can say how to make it run on Win98SE legally. There are some principles which are allowing using some tools or some new code to run game properly, even if that code is not released oficially, but do not call it crack.

Ad: Steam

The technological differences between Win98 version of Steam and WinNT/2k/XP steams are again based (and only based) on adding "EX" exports, which are contained in XP kernel. These exports work very similar to their "nonEX" variants which are contained in win9x kernel, so i think that somebody is trying to spare some money or time during development (somebody is lazy).

Also i have identified some new technological barriers in games - for example TES: Oblivion. I have hardware strong enough to run the game properly. In Windows 98SE the game runs quite slow, on Windows 2000 it runs faster. As some system modules are missing so the game "waits" for them, but it hangs for some time to.

also Ultima Online (first and still active massive online game since 1996). Its executable module is nightmare. If you try to login while "uo.cfg" is present in "game/account" directory the system get BSOD regarding to afvxd.vxd. But if you erase uo.cfg the game will run correctly and uo.cfg will be restored from main game directory.

and the worst - some installations are requesting system services which are not present in Win98Se, not even with KEX. Installations generate numerous error messages. i try to map one of those games.

also i have tested Supreme Commander too. it is not connected only to missing exports, but to other system modules. i cannot say what exactly it needs.

Edited by Offler

hey everyone!maybe i found a great success about steam!maybe you can run steam in 98!

at first,i don`t have win98 in my computer at presant.so i can't try it and make sure this way can make it run in 98.

1.download the steam program(ps:the steam download link:http://steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi)

2.open winrar,and extrack the msi file.

3.you can see a file named steam.exe1.THEN,NAME IT STEAM.EXE.now you can see its ico is steam logo.

4.run it,if it does,you will see a "updating" box.it will download full steam files.(don't forget to add steam.exe=winxp in kexver.ini)

and another one important file is steamservice.exe .i think it can add the steam service to your system.so,if you don't run it before you run steam.exe,maybe you can get an error.so you 'd better to run this file before you run steam.exe,certainly,you must add it in kexver.ini

try your best to run it..

and post the problem to me.

Edited by aqcww

i tried to extract steam before and it was not able to run. when you run steam.exe1 it will download latest steam engine which is updated and contain WinXP version files. when i try to run steam.exe afterwards i get no error message, but the executable will not start steam service

then in steam directory this file is created

(failed)STEAM_assert_20081016081121_1.mdmp

which seems to me as some kind of error message. also the steam.log contains this:

CsComm Session Oct-16-2008 08:11:26.851 [4293961989] ReconnectThread (4293961989) Starting

since the clients are updated via server connections we can patch the client, but with any new release of steam the patches we would do will be undone, erased or not functional with newer version of steam.

By the way, i am not sure about that, but the steam files which i downloaded today seems identical with those i downloaded two months after the support for win98 ended.

steamservice.exe is linked to missing export in Kernel32.dll:GetConsoleWindow

and will not start...

since i want to make Valve and Steam creators angry i believe that i will start support steamless projects :)

Battlefield 2 can't run under win 98 yet

perhaps with a future version of kernelex it can.

The following api's are still missing

NTdll.dll

NtAllocateVirtualMemory
NtCreateProfile
NtQueryInformationProcess
NtQuerySystemInformation
NtQueryVirtualMemory
NtSetInformationProcess
NtSetIntervalProfile
NtStartProfile
NtStopProfile
NtWriteFile
RtlUnicodeToOemN
_chkstk
_stricmp
atoi
sprintf
NtClose
NtCreateKey
NtDeleteKey
NtFsControlFile
NtOpenFile
NtOpenKey
NtQueryInformationToken
NtQueryOpenSubKeys
NtQuerySystemTime
NtSetValueKey
RtlAdjustPrivilege
RtlAllocateAndInitializeSid
RtlConvertSidToUnicodeString
RtlCopySid
RtlCreateEnvironment
RtlDestroyEnvironment
RtlEqualSid
RtlExpandEnvironmentStrings_U
RtlFreeSid
RtlFreeUnicodeString
RtlIdentifierAuthoritySid
RtlInitUnicodeString
RtlLengthSid
RtlQueryEnvironmentVariable_U
RtlSetEnvironmentVariable
RtlSubAuthorityCountSid
RtlSubAuthoritySid
RtlTimeToSecondsSince1980
RtlUnicodeStringToInteger

ole32.dll

CoWaitForMultipleHandles

advapi32.dll
AccessCheckByType

kernel32.dll
PrivCopyFileExW

user32.dll
UpdatePerUserSystemParameters

shell32.dll
SHBindToParent

Edited by Kwibus

• 2 weeks later...
Did Anyone tried Tomb Raider games?

The new ones does not work. Demos anyway.

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

Quake 4

F.E.A.R

Alarm Corba Nitro

Alarm Cobra Crash time: Need anything higher then the 6200 to run it.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

The Mark FPS

Doom 3

El Matador: Like Max Payne but better.

Found some more that work. :)

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.

Just a update:

I found a neat get around. Well say you download a demo, and you extract the files, and there is a setup.exe to install the game. Well if you run setup and a get a error, you know xp only etc, well just go to the bin folder or whatever game.exe file and run the game that way. Doesn't work with every game of course, but you don't have to install it the game to be able to run it.

I only found this trick in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars so far. NFS Pro street , i tried it too, but all i got was a black screen.

Here are a new group of games that can run under 98.

C&C:zero hour

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising

unreal2003

all of them are rank1.

another point,there are two "unreal2004" in the list.

Edited by aqcww