Corsair 4Gb USB Stick - Eject Question

risk_reversal

Running a Corsair 4Gb USB stick with the Silicon Motion controlled on 98SE (4.10.2222A) and have a question regarding ejecting the drive.

If > My Computer> right click on Corsair drive select eject an hourglass comes up for a second but the drive does not eject. 98SE does not display any error message box nor any bluescreen. If I physically disconnect the drive after the failed eject command, equally no error messages or bluescreen. My Corsair 1Gb stick which has the Prolific controller, eject works fine.

I am using the Corsair supplied drivers, the old driver for the 1Gb stick and the new driver for the 4Gb stick.

Question: Is anyone else using this Corsair stick (Silicon Motion) with the new Corsair driver on 98SE getting this same (non-eject) issue.

Many thanks

Edited by risk_reversal

Actually, the eject was successful. To prove this, double-click on the Removable drive after ejected, and Windows should give an error similar to when you try to open the floppy icon with no floppy disk. Once you unplug the drive, the icon should disapear.

Many thanks for your reply Ambassador but the drive is nevertheless still accessible. On my 1Gb Corsair drive it works as you have described ie windows displays error box after eject is selected.

Does anyone know whether this is a shortcoming of the Corsair / Silicon Motion driver?

Cheers

Hi, R_R.

I can't answer your question about the Corsair driver, but I can tell you that the 98 universal USB driver available on this site gives a tray disconnect applet similar to XP. I have found it extremely useful. You would have to uninstall your Corsair drivers for it to work.

Fredledingue, I had frequent blue screens when removing my PNY 1 GB stick, which I bought specifically because it had 98 drivers. This would happen whether I "ejected" it in Explorer or not. The blue screens informed of "open files" on the device, and would sometimes even result in a system crash. I have not had this problem since installing the universal USB driver.

Many thanks for your replies guys.

fishindude, I take it you installed NUSB, if so which version. From my understanding v2.x seems to add generic usb drivers while v3.x expands the list of supported flash drives as well as taking over USB 2.0 support.

Fredledingue, I have in the interim run across several posts which also confirm no ill effects from simply disconnecting the flash drive without using eject. Obviously, this is not to be done when drive is in operation. So far I have not had any blue screen or error messages from 98SE when disconnecting and the data transfered does not seems to be corrupted in any way.

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

Hi, RR.

I'm using whatever Soporific's Autopatcher installs, which, I believe, is a bunch of hotfixes and not NUSB. I know that they enabled a flash drive that would only work under XP before, and that I had to uninstall my PNY drivers to get the tray disconnect applet. I'm going to try NUSB 3.3 later today, I'll let you know how it goes.

NUSB 3.3 works great! Automatically installed drivers for all devices. These include a PNY 1 GB flash drive, an Xdigital Media variable flash drive, Mitsumi USB 2.0 floppy drive, Sony Mavica camera, and even a new Kodak digital picture frame! Tray disconnect applet still shows up and works for all devices. One tip - when you remove existing drivers for your 2.0 controller and hub, just do it from within device manager and install NUSB. If you delete or rename the driver files, it won't work. NUSB seems to replace the .inf file with it's own .inf, (oem4.inf on my machine), but looks for the original .sys files for the devices.

Many thanks for the info fishindude.

I have also been doing some testing with NUSB but using v2.4 which seems to just be the generic usb drivers. I am not sure I want to disturb the via usb 2.0 drivers on my system so I thought I would try the earlier NUBS rather than v3.x.

v2.4 seems to just overlays the generic usb drivers without disturbing my existing usb 2.0.

The Corsair 4Gb stick was immediately and correctly detect and the eject HW icon in the system tray worked and ejected the drive. The Corsair stick was also correctly displayed in the Device Manager under 'Enhanced USB' ie it was operating at usb 2.0 speeds. It also created a USB Drive entry in Device Manager much like the one found in XP.

I also tried an old Sony digital camera (usb 1.1) and that also was detected, worked well and ejected to.

I even connected both units at the same and transfered from one to the other with no apparent ill effects.

I will try a couple of more usb devices and hope that there is no conflict.

Cheers