HP laptop does not start-up/ boot

RMDesai

Hello,

I have HP dv6000z and dv2000z laptops. I am facing same problems with both of them. Strangely, two of us use these at different locations. One is on Vista and other on XP.

During start, the HP blue lights panel lights up, if any cd is presents, it spins, the fan runs but there is no post. The display remains dark. It does not even flash the HP logo and other BIOS info. Just stays dark.

Both of them, however, decide to start normally at their wish. My laptop, the dv2000z faced this problem about 4-6 months ago. Then it ran fine till last couple of days. Both the laptops are 1.5+ years old.

The BIOS stores the amount of memory I had allocated for video. Can this still mean CMOS battery can be dead?

I found several similar poste in various forums, but no clear answer.

Any thoughts or solutions are welcome.

Do let me know if you need any further info from me.

Regards,

Ravindra.

First things I would check would be:

1) if a RAM expansion card/chip is present take it out / check contacts / re-seat

2) if the processor is upgradeable (on a add-on card) take it out / check contacts / re-seat

3) take the cd/dvd out / check contacts / re-seat

4) (warning in most cases needs a partial disassembly of the laptop) take the HD out / check contacts / re-seat

5) (warning needs a partial disassembly of the laptop) open it up, remove keyboard / check contacts / re-seat thoroughly clean the innards from dust

jaclaz

Hello,

I read stories about a MS patch doing things to PC reboot.

I did update my BIOS to F.39 from HP site and applied SP37736 form HP site.

Now I am wondering if SP37736 has the dreaded KB937287. Is there any way to know this?

SP37736 can be found here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp37501-38000/sp37736.exe

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

Ravindra.