How to include RAdmin in WinPE 2.0 Boot CD

geemail.email

Hello all,

I nearing completion on my boot cd and got a crazy idea today. I am half way there but need further assistance to complete the task.

I would like to include RAdmin (Remote Administrator by Famatech) within my WinPE 2.0 CD.

Here is where I am at:

1. Create WinPE 2.0 CD and copy numerous RAdmin files within ISO folder before unmount and creating ISO.

2. Boot from WinPE 2.0 CD

3. From the D drive, I am able to install the RAdmin server, start the RAdmin server service, and launch RAdmin settings..

4. From WinPE, I am able to launch a remote viewer session to another workstation on the domain.

Here is where I need help....if I try to connect via RAdmin to the workstation booted with WinPE, I am unable to connect.

1. I have disabled the firewall in pe with "wpeutil DisableFirewall"

Not sure where to go from here.....thank you in advance for your help.

Geemail

UPDATE:

I am assuming this is not someting simple since I have had no replies to the post. I have since done the following and have had a little further success but still need help.

Boot to the PE 2.0 cd. Nework connectivity initializes. Run "wpeutil DisableFirewall", then from a USB disk, installed RAdmin 2.2. After completing the installation, I am able to run the viewer and connect to other computers on the domain. When I attempt to connect to the workstation running PE, I get prompt for the password, and it accepts the password. Problem now being, the remote screen is completely black and any keyboard or mouse movements are not reflected in WinPE. It appears I am connected but have no video or control of the WinPE workstation.

Thank you again in advance...

Edited by geemail.email

Ok, I decided to try Remote Desktop and see if I got the same results.

I installed the stand alone remote desktop software and sure enough, I can connect to any machine on the domain, I just can't connect to the the WinPE booted workstation.

I feel I am at the extent of my technical guessing....so I am hoping one of the many frequent and talented visitors of this site will have an answer...I have to believe someone else has gotten Remote Desktop to work with WinPE....thanks everyone.

Jazkal

Thanks for the reply....this seems to be a taboo topic as you are the only reply. I have read other posts from this and other forums that say they have been able to accomplish the incoming connections as well. I have gotten the telnet option of RAdmin to work but I am not sure how much I can do with that. I dont really have any true control over the machine but I am not really familiar with all the benefits of Telnet. I have also read other saying they were able to get Remote Desktop to work but they don't give specific details. I find it odd that I can connect to the PE boot session, but simply don't have video or keyboard and mouse control. I know they use a video hook dll and I have included it but it may be that because I am installing Radmin after I boot with the cd that it is not truly taking effect with the registry changes.

Documentation on WinPE is very scarce. However, I have read many posts that refer to making registry changes before unmounting and creating the iso. Can you tell me during the process of building the boot cd, how I can make permanent registry changes before I unmount and then create the ISO?

Thanks for your help. I feel as though this would be a major breakthrough for my boot cd. The main purpose of the cd is for re-imaging of the workstation with Ghost. Adding this feature would allow us to deliver a boot cd to anyone in the company, and we would be able to remotely rebuild the workstation. We own RAdmin so that is why I chose to try and get it working. However, I would be satisfied with VNC, Remote Desktop, or any other remote control application.

Thanks

Sorry I cant be of help to your main problem but I thought I'd join in regarding updating the registry.

When offline and you have the WIM mounted you should be able to load the reg hive Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat and make changes.

What I do for my PE though to give me flexibility, is to just create a .reg file and add a "reg import" to my startnet.cmd

I've added the remote desktop client to my PE but have only experimented with outgoing connections...you have me interested now though :)

I'll see if I can work out anything and will be keeping an eye on this topic. Unfortunately for us though, Jazkal seems to know his stuff which means that incoming connections will be very hard or impossible.

Pyrosoft,

I agree, Jazkal knows his stuff, and I trust his advice, but I just find it interesting I get the black screen.

Question: Regarding the editing of registry while offline. I have read many posts about how to do this, but I tend to be the person who needs the dummie book version. Can you point me to any posts which details how to edit the registry while offline and have the WIM mounted? After I mount the WIM, install the PE apps (wmi, hta, scripting, etc), install LAN and MSD drivers, copy custom files....what is the next step to accomplishing the registry editing?

Also, aside from manually copying the RAdmin or Remote Desktop files, is there a way to "install" applications into the WIM while it is mounted? If not, to get where I am at now, I know RAdmin only needs a couple of files to be copied into the ISO directory while mounted but I seem to get slightly different results when I run the actual installation while booted into the WinPE session. Also, I have only gotten Remote Desktop to work after performing the installation while booted of the CD.

Thank you for your interest....getting the Remote In option to work could open up an entirely new concept of the purpose of the boot cd, any user could be provided with the CD and our technicians sneakernet approach to rebuilding the workstations could be dramatically reduced with the remote IN capability. When I started this Boot CD project, I had never dreamed of implementing this kind of functionality....one can dream...right?

Thanks,

GeeMail

Hi,

When the WIM is mounted (before or after adding WMI or HTA etc) open up regedit (start > run > regedit)

Click HKEY_Local_machine

Click File > Load hive

Point it to c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat

Name it something useful

make the changes to the key you have created then when you're done just unload the hive.

Interesting you mention installing apps there, after my previous post I did some experimenting and installed the MS RDP Client into PE. I was surprised when the installation went through fine to be honest. Any app installs would have to be done within PE I imagine unless you capture all the registry settings associated with it and do it offline. No reason why you couldnt run a silent install as a part of the PE boot process. All takes time but it would work.

Having said all that, installing the RDP client still wouldn't let me connect from my PC to PE. As you know, going from PE to a session works fine and I've use that at the moment. In theory the client is meant to be installed on Win 98 and allow XP to remote to it so it must contain all the TS components somewhere

The next thing I'm going to experiment with is a chat app and see if I can get talk going over the network to try and work out where the whole incoming vs outgoing connections. Might not lead anywhere but it has to be worth trying.

Quite agree with you about it being an interesting way of working so lets hope that someone get it working :D

Edited by Pyrosoft

Pyrosoft,

Thank you for the reg mod instructions...now I am beginning to understand some of the directions in the other posts. I am unable to do this today, but will be working on this tomorrow and let you know my results. I was able to install RDP for WinXPSP2 from within the booted PE. I have also tried adding trmsrv.dll and reg entries from within PE. Now that I am armed with offline reg mod capability, I will be trying all of it again and will let you know my results.

Thank you again, this remote capability is a very exciting topic for me and I am hoping others join us in an effort to get it working.

I have posted on a few other sites as well in hopes we can receive as many ideas as possible.

Pyrosoft,

I need some advice and assistance.....please

I have captured all registry setting changes before and after an installation of the application....so, as you can imagine, I have hundreds of registry entries.

When I follow your instructins on how to update the entries in the WinPE registry, I feel like I am getting lost. Couple of questions....

1. When I load c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat, which key entries from my registry changes am I putting in this key I have named RAdmin?

2. I have registry modifications which I want to import into the WinPE 2.0 registry....do I have to manually add all of them, or is there a way to import them?

3. How do I add or import entries into the other keys, HKEY_Classes_Root, HKEY_Current_User, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and HKEY_USERS? Is there a .dat file to point to for each HKEY?

Sorry to be an id*** about this, but I felt guessing was not the correct thing to do at this point in the game.

As always, thanks in advance for your support and assistance....

UPDATE:

I am assuming this is not someting simple since I have had no replies to the post. I have since done the following and have had a little further success but still need help.

Boot to the PE 2.0 cd. Nework connectivity initializes. Run "wpeutil DisableFirewall", then from a USB disk, installed RAdmin 2.2. After completing the installation, I am able to run the viewer and connect to other computers on the domain. When I attempt to connect to the workstation running PE, I get prompt for the password, and it accepts the password. Problem now being, the remote screen is completely black and any keyboard or mouse movements are not reflected in WinPE. It appears I am connected but have no video or control of the WinPE workstation.

Thank you again in advance...

Need to load the video hook driver.

For me, I have it (raddrv.dll), AdmDll.dll, and r_server.exe in \windows\system32. Only files you need. R_server service never works (r_server /service), but call the application straight up and works fine.

This reg file has the system hive loaded to hklm\sys. Just add this. You can have the wpeinit batch file (whatever it is called) just start r_server.exe and it will work for you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sys\ControlSet001\Services\raddrv]

"Type"=dword:00000001

"Start"=dword:00000001

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"ImagePath"=hex(2):5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

74,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,61,\

00,64,00,64,00,72,00,76,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

"DisplayName"="raddrv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sys\ControlSet001\Services\raddrv\Security]

"Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\

00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\

00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\

05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\

20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\

00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\sys\ControlSet001\Services\raddrv\Enum]

"Count"=dword:00000000

"NextInstance"=dword:00000000

"INITSTARTFAILED"=dword:00000001

Edited by trtkron

• 1 month later...

I tried nearly the same. I wish to integrate ultravnc into winpe.

After installing the vncserver and disabling the firewall i was able to connect to the winpe client with the vncviewer inside of the Winpe Session. All looks fine so far, a i also can view the desktop an control the mouse.

If i try to connect from an another machine to the winpe client, the connection fails.. The Firewall ist disabled an the vncserver is configured to accept outside connection.

Got an Idee to solve this ???