XP SP3 removed Address Bar on desktop

ZeDMaN

@ZeDMaN-- I've found using the toolbar 'Windows Search Deskbar' and typing in an exact URL is similar to the missing address bar toolbar... although it makes dumb suggestions about things on your desktop... if you type in http://whatever.com it will load the website in your default browser or spawn a new instance if it isn't open already... not optimal, but I hope it helps... I was freakin' out when I installed RC2 and my favorite toolbar was missing... :realmad:

this thread and program creator is great, thanks for the work

2. how do you keep MuvEnum Address Bar: in place and always on when restarting computer? cuz when i do it dissappears then i gotta renable it, unlock taskbar move it around the relock. thanks

bump my question wasnt answered

@nycste

Hey there. This is Joe from http://www.systemsabuse.com. John is currently looking into the issue above and I've pointed him to this thread so he can let you know when it is resolved. Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by poppyq

This is John from MuvEnum. I've found the issue that was causing the address bar to disappear when you restarted the computer and have released an update.

You can get the latest version from the bottom of the post at: http://www.systemsabuse.com/2007/12/27/xp-...bar-go-missing/

Update 04/03/2008: v1.2.0.0 Released

Changes:

• Fixed the issue with the address bar not being restored after a restart of the computer.
  • Removed addition of “/” at the end of a URL without an extension that would cause some websites to return a 404 because they can’t handle an ending “/”
  • Added threading support so operations don’t cause the explorer process to not respond until after they finish (mostly seen when trying to access UNC paths that don’t exist).
  • Added an about dialog.
  • Added a tiny dot on the right of the toolbar that when clicked, shows the about dialog with an option for hiding the “Go” arrow.

Thanks,

John Rennemeyer

MuvEnum, LLC

this thread and program creator is great, thanks for the work

2. how do you keep MuvEnum Address Bar: in place and always on when restarting computer? cuz when i do it dissappears then i gotta renable it, unlock taskbar move it around the relock. thanks

bump my question wasnt answered

@nycste

Hey there. This is Joe from http://www.systemsabuse.com. John is currently looking into the issue above and I've pointed him to this thread so he can let you know when it is resolved. Hope this helps somewhat.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just installed SP3 and the address bar is still there. But there is one catch, you can't add it directly to taskbar (it's not in the context menu), you have to create a new separate panel (ie., not docked in taskbar), right click on it and behold - Address option is there. After you create it you can move and dock it into taskbar.

Vista has made the address bar obsolete with it's Find/Run being merged and made smarter to know if you're typing a url, looking for a file, etc.

Although I do find it surprising MS took steps to remove/hide the address bar in XP, there is some unexplained internal agenda to remove it (but not delete it).

Hi guys,

"After installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta, the Address Bar feature will be removed from the Taskbar

The Address Bar feature will not be present in Windows XP Service Pack 3. This change is in response to a regulatory request and is present beginning with Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta.

Please, can anyone tell me how to return it permanently?? Is there a registry hack or something?? I use this feature every time on XP. :no: If it's a Regulatory request, why didn't they remove it in Vista also?? :realmad:

Thx!

So , it's a beta edition .

no its because too many people whined about MS bundling software into XP -apparently they wanted their OS to come out of the box with no browser, No media player, no email functionality. Hell if they had removed all of that people would prolly still gripe about the pinball game being made by MS.

anyways i did a little searching and found this:

http://www.systemsabuse.com/2007/12/27/xp-...bar-go-missing/

should help ease the pain.

So, I just installed SP3 and the address bar is still there. But there is one catch, you can't add it directly to taskbar (it's not in the context menu), you have to create a new separate panel (ie., not docked in taskbar), right click on it and behold - Address option is there. After you create it you can move and dock it into taskbar.

Thanks, this worked perfectly.

I don't understand your explanation as to how to create the Address Bar in the main taskbar, can you explain again? thanks

1. create a new bar on the taskbar (Links for example)

2. drag it to desktop to undock it (it will change to a panel, you have to undock it as it won't work otherwise)

3. now you can add the address bar (rightcklick on the undocked panel)

4. drag the newly created address bar to taskbar

Hi all. I too was searching for a fix to the missing address bar. The best solution I found was to replace browseui.dll as some of you have mentioned. However, there is no need to disable SFC or the like. As long as you do everything in safe mode and with the explorer.exe process killed, you won't have a problem. After finding all the instances of browseui.dll that needed to be replaced, I created a batch file that does the dirty work (including making backups) for you. If you want to try it, you can download the batch file on my website: http://personal.ryantadams.com/2008/05/08/...windows-xp-sp3/

It should only take about 5 minutes form the time you download the file until you have your address bar back. I would appreciate any feedback.

to bing back IE icon on desk

create .reg file having this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\InternetExplorerOnDesktop]

"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\HideDesktopIcons\\NewStartPanel"

"Text"="Show Internet Explorer icon on the Desktop"

"Type"="checkbox"

"ValueName"="{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"

"CheckedValue"=dword:00000000

"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000001

"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001

"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001

run and look for the option in tools>>folder options>>view>show IE icon on desk