USB Drive Target Error

judas15k

I am trying to use USB_Multiboot3.cmd and in the menu list, I can't seem to designate my USB-drive

In the menu, I have chosen "Change USB-Drive Target" and I then designate my USB stick which I have formated with PeToUSB accordingly to the settings stated in the help text (Enable Disk Format, Enable LBA(FAT16X), Enable File Copy)

It then states that "***** F: has NOT FAT FAT32 or NTFS Format and is NOT Valid *****"

I have tried both of my Sony 4GB USB stick and my Samsung 1GB USB stick and they all give me the same results..

Help plz

Edited by judas15k

I am trying to use USB_Multiboot3.cmd and in the menu list, I can't seem to designate my USB-drive

In the menu, I have chosen "Change USB-Drive Target" and I then designate my USB stick which I have formated with PeToUSB accordingly to the settings stated in the help text (Enable Disk Format, Enable LBA(FAT16X), Enable File Copy)

It then states that "***** F: has NOT FAT FAT32 or NTFS Format and is NOT Valid *****"

I have tried both of my Sony 4GB USB stick and my Samsung 1GB USB stick and they all give me the same results..

Help plz

Solved

=====

This process requires fsutil.exe in the same directory as the USB_Multiboot3.cmd file.

Copy and paste and all is good

I'd rather think your PATH variables are messed, fsutil shouldn't have to be in the same folder.

Try to delete it, extract this archive, say in c:\FIXPATH, open cmd in that folder and run FIXPATH.EXE or just use explorer to run it, let it finish, reboot and try again USB_multiboot script. Please report if that helped.

http://www.westmesatech.com/files/fixpath2.zip

• 10 months later...

I'm getting the same error (using latest version of USB_MultiBoot_10).

I used the HP format tool (NTFS), didn't work. I used the PeToUSB tool (tried both fat and ntfs), didn't work.

They formatted (that worked), but the error still shows up. I have a 2GB Memorex USB flash drive.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

ilko_t I have tried your method to solve my problem (which is the same as the posted one), but I am still getting the same error. I have even tried judas's solution and copied the fsutil.exe to the same folder as MultiBoot and still no joy.

Any more ideas??

Many thanks in advance

steev

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, first-time poster here, looking for help.

I have the same issue as juststeev, with the "NOT FAT FAT32 or NTFS Format and is NOT Valid" error on USB_Multiboot 10. Tried several different USB drives, formatted them to FAT/FAT32/NTFS, didn't work. Also tried the trick with putting fsutil.exe next to the USB_Multiboot_10.exe file. Still nothing. And finally I've also run FIXPATH, which showed up nothing, and made no difference!

What am I doing wrong??!

Is it just that I'm on Vista but trying to work with programs that deal with XP?

Help!!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same trouble - Here's what I've done so far:

Moved fsutil into the same usb multiboot folder - given it admin rights

Given pe to usb admin rights (this was causing it not to detect any usb drives)

Given the HP util admin rights

Deleted user accounts so everything has admin right (haha)

Run FIXPATH

rebooted

tried two USB drives

formatted with a different formatting util

run pe to usb outside of the dos window and chosed not to format inside

Tried the GUI app and it gives me an error on line 1:

I'm 8 1/2 hours into this so far :)

ANY suggestions would be good

Running Vista home premium

EDIT: I KNEW as soon as I posted I'd find a way to make it work lol - used pe to usb inside the gui app after looking at the log file and finding it wasn't getting any free space on the USB stick and as I type it's copying the setup files.

Edited by Reverb

• 2 months later...

Alright, I am not sure if this is still open but maybe someone is still having a problem. I had the same error until I turned my Account Control to OFF. You can do that by typing msconfig in your start menu search followed by clicking the tools tab (thats for vista, for xp you have to run mscofig). Go down until you see Disable UAC (user account control). Disable it, you will get a success message, and then restart your computer (I know you wont want to but it wont work if you don't). Once thats off and reset everything will be fine and you can stop screaming that everything is formatted correctly. Let me know if this helps

Edited by Amfavs

Running Windows 7 and Im haveing the same problem as above. Says my USB stick isnt formatted fat fat32 or ntsf and therefore not valid.

I have tried the above fixes and yet I still have the issue. Can someone explore this further?

LMAO UPDATE: Used the PE GUI Interface and walla. It sees me now... Thats after I have done all the above fixes... Now lest see if I get a successfull boot instal ;p

Edited by hungryarmadillo

• 11 months later...

Running Windows 7 and Im haveing the same problem as above. Says my USB stick isnt formatted fat fat32 or ntsf and therefore not valid.

I have tried the above fixes and yet I still have the issue. Can someone explore this further?

LMAO UPDATE: Used the PE GUI Interface and walla. It sees me now... Thats after I have done all the above fixes... Now lest see if I get a successfull boot instal ;p

Please be more specified!!!! i have the same problem but i can't understant what did u do to work it out!!! same w7 problem with UAC turned off etc. etc. etc. same error!!!! X(

• 5 months later...

Please be more specified!!!! i have the same problem but i can't understant what did u do to work it out!!! same w7 problem with UAC turned off etc. etc. etc. same error!!!! X(

I agree ... thats not very useful when someone says it has worked for them and not give any details about it.

However for anyone having problems on Windows 7, I solved it by editing the USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd script. At the very top you will see a line VER | find "6.0." > nul

Change it to VER | find "6.1." > nul to detect that its Windows 7 you are running the script on. fsutil should then recognize your drives correctly.

Hope this helps .... do let me know if it doesnt !