change ctr+alt+delete to taskmanager?

x-Shadow-x

Ok you no when yo press ctrl+alt+delete you get a screen where it askes you if you want to lock the computer, switch user, log off, change password and start the taskmaneger. ok i was wondering if i could somehow modify the thing that boots up that screen (i think it is LogonUI, but im not sure) and make it boot up the task manager instead?

1: You should post this in the area for the operating system you are using

2: You should state the operating system if you don't.

3: Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

To answer your question: No. Ctrl-Alt-Del is special. Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc, it will always directly open the task manager. I swear I've answered this before... :P

If you are using XP, you could change it to welcome screen logon, then it will behave as requested, however, that is not as secure of a method.

1: ok sory

2: ok

3: thx

and oh >=-C so i cant make ctrl alt del bring up the task managar, well that is crapy D:<

thanks for the help anyway

EDIT: there should be a way to make it so the taskmanager pops up, hummm "thinks"

Edited by x-Shadow-x

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that you don't want to use Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or that it doesn't function when you hit those keys? If it doesn't sunction, then there is something wrong with your installation as that key combination is coded into Windows, both XP and Vista (I checked just now to make sure!). If something that basic isn't working properly, I'd worry about other things in the OS.

You can't remap ctrl-alt-del, even by changing logonui (vista) or msgina.dll (xp). Just... don't even try. You'll wish you hadn't, trust me.

Ctrl+Alt+Del is a reserved by the operating system. Only winlogon.exe can decide what to do with it. ONLY. Winlogon gets Ctrl+Alt+Del, then it tells msgina.dll or in the case of vista logonui.exe what dialog/action to perform.

If Ctrl+Shift+Esc isn't working, your OS is already seriously screwed up. I'd recommend checking a couple more times, then doing a reinstall if it still won't work. It should.