vLited vista killed XP

Mirkel1

And when it crashed there, i swiched my perfectly working (in other pc) NEC CD-RW with some old 52x Lite-On. Ok and it completed the installation with it, but it seems like everything related to XP boot shizzles is vanished.

Good old superhidden ntldr, ntdetect, boot.ini and stuff like that are all gone.

I tryied to get dualboot working with EasyBCD, which has always worked in my previous vista/xp dualboot systems, but not this time.

Then i tryied to create a new entry for XP with this > http://www.vistabootpro.org/ , which ofcource didnt work. Boot menu gave me 'problem occured' and nothing happened.

Then all hope seemed to be lost, since nothing in vista could locate XP in partition right next to its own, and i tryied to Fixboot and fixmbr in XP recovery console, which ofcource didnt work. They only ruined my vista bootmgr. Then i tryied to rebuild boot, add os to it and other stuff related to 'bootcfg' command. Ofcource it didnt work. I tryied some minor things like copying ntldr and ntdetect.com to xp-s root and vistas root. Then i got the ntoskrnl-whatever is missing or corrupt and i copyied that to XP-s system32 dir. It still gave me that error, but i didnt copy it to vistas system32 folder. Thats about it.

Im out of ideas :(

I fixed vista with its startup repair and now im back in start.

Please... There is so many good stuff in my XP atm, i couldnt reinstall and/or format that partition.

Is there any way to get it running again?

Edited by Mirkel1

If you really want to try, then do the following. Do an XP repair install which will retore the boot files you need for XP. You'll then only be able to boot into XP. Then do a Vista statrtup repair which will leave you only able to boot into Vista. then you'll need to edit the Vista boot file (use the special Vista boot file editor) to add the XP installtion to the Vista boot manager. Then you'll be able to see both installations on boot and choose between them.

Basically, you need to follow the routine for installing XP after installing Vista (this is normally done the other way around!). I think there is a thread here on the forum about that, installing XP in a dual boot on a pre-installed Vista. Look for it.