Removing Item from Right-Click "New" menu.

sam13484

I recently installed Photoshop 7 on my XP machine. When I right-click on my desktop and choose new, I get new folder, new shortcut, and new photoshop document. I want to permanently remove the photoshop item. I have tweakUI installed and have removed it using that utility, but everytime I use photoshop, it comes back. Sometimes it even comes back, after a while, when I haven't used photoshop. Can anyone tell me how to permanently remove this item from the right-click menu? Thanks.

post-34324-1202842088_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. Since TweakUI is just a graphical way to make changes to the registry, try this - open up the registry (regedit), go to the first key, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, scroll down to .psd ( a long way down!!), click on the little plus sign to the left and I bet you'll see an entry for ShellNew. Highlight this and rename it ShellNew-. Now close the registry and it shouldn't appear any more in tweakUI or in Explorer when you right click in an empty area and click on New.

I like to keep mine empty except for a text file and zip file. That way it opens very much faster. By using a minus sign at the end you can easily restore it to where it was and you don't have to remember what was there. I use this trick for lots of small changes I make to the registry. I also put the minus sign in front sometimes.

Thanks for the thought, but it didn't work. The new item returned after I started Photoshop again. So I tried something radical and removed the entire .psd entry in the Registry. That seems to have done it, but I'm not sure what effects removing the .psd entry will have later on. Photoshop seems to be working okay.

• 10 months later...
Hmmm. Since TweakUI is just a graphical way to make changes to the registry, try this - open up the registry (regedit), go to the first key, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, scroll down to .psd ( a long way down!!), click on the little plus sign to the left and I bet you'll see an entry for ShellNew. Highlight this and rename it ShellNew-. Now close the registry and it shouldn't appear any more in tweakUI or in Explorer when you right click in an empty area and click on New.

I like to keep mine empty except for a text file and zip file. That way it opens very much faster. By using a minus sign at the end you can easily restore it to where it was and you don't have to remember what was there. I use this trick for lots of small changes I make to the registry. I also put the minus sign in front sometimes.

Thanks for the tip ;)