What language is used by most software developers?

i see more and more ppl here labeled as software developers, and was wondering what language do they use?

stuff like nLite, XPize and others? then in the industry, what language is most used?

just wondering... still schooling, and wondering what language should i be learning next time

VB6: beginners, RAD

c++: compatibility

asm: no limits...

I personally use VB6 due best debugging and internal unicode support (for apps that use either Ansi or unicode! note VB6 controls don't support unicode so you have to use API), PureBasic for dlls and some apps (as c++ replacement, cause couldn't get any c++ to compile simple app with icon resource), and asm for patching software, sniplets (eg decompression routine for VB6) and my shell32.dll project (don't know any c++ can export functions by ordinal only?)

For best windows (95+) compatibility use anything not requiring special runtime files (best not even msvcrt.dll because not present on Win95 after fresh installation) - especially not requiring .NET (framework)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i see more and more ppl here labeled as software developers, and was wondering what language do they use?

stuff like nLite, XPize and others? then in the industry, what language is most used?

just wondering... still schooling, and wondering what language should i be learning next time

nLite and XPize are probably C# .Net. I'm sure they use .net but not they are coded in C# though.

.Net main's advantage is use of creating graphical interfaces under windows but it requires .net framework.

Btw, long live F#. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm mainly VB.net, C# to a lesser degree but recently, i see far more .net positions than anything else (C++, C, Java, etc.) but that may be because I'm in my own little world. :rolleyes:

Breaking down the .net world, it looks like 4:1 in favor of C# over VB. That's the ratio I get after looking through a quite of bit of job postings these past few weeks, even though all the .net languages are pretty much the same thing!

Edited by Team929

• 3 weeks later...

I used to do mainly C/C++, but I've branched a bit into learning java, scripting languages, and asp and asp.net. I've done VB in the past as well, but not anymore.

I guess the short answer is "whatever the dev is comfortable with" :).

I guess the short answer is "whatever the dev is comfortable with" :).

And whatever the system that's running the code can support. I've written code in a few languages (C/C++, C#, PHP, Java, Perl, Python, Matlab, etc), but at times, I've needed to move from one to the other because of the system that we're running on. Writing cross-platform code takes longer, and sometimes just isn't worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...