"Internet Explorer has Stopped Working" APPCRASH Error?

DerekC

Two weeks ago, I bought a New computer with Vista Premium Home version OS. The computer uses Intel's Core 2 Quad processor.

Though I primarily use Firefox, I occasionally NEED "Internet Explorer"as my web browser. Recently, Internet Explorer has failed to open/load and I receive a dialog-box with the message, "Internet Explorer has stopped working." It offers buttons to either "check online for solutions and close program" or simply "close Program."

In the "Details" section below, it lists the problem as being "APPCRASH."

Note: Firefox opens/works fine and I can open/load Internet Explorer, when opened as "Administrator." Yet, logged on as "User" Internet Explorer will not open, though privileges are AVAILABLE and NOT blocked.

What is Wrong and how do I fix this problem?

what happens if you run "iexplore -extoff" from the start menu? Does it work properly then? If so, you have an add-on installed in IE that doesn't work in Vista under UAC / IE protected mode, and you should either remove it or upgrade it to something that is Vista-compatible.

Thanks for the reply cluberti.

I tried the "iexplore -extoff" and wound up with the same error dialog-box.

Here is the "Detail" error message:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 7.0.6000.16575

Application Timestamp: 470c3339

Fault Module Name: ophook32.dll

Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 3622a944

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00002737

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Before this problem began occurring, I tried to add Live-Messenger to my system. After I encountered this problem with Internet Explorer, I tried retracing my steps and decided to un-install live-messenger. That uninstall didn't "fix" the problem.

Edited by DerekC

Fault Module Name: ophook32.dll

Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 3622a944

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00002737

Do you by any chance have OmniPage Pro installed?

ophook32.dll appears to be a 3rd party module... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275470

Exception code 0xc0000005 would indicate an access violation.

If you don't think you have this installed, search for ophook32.dll on your boot drive...

Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, click "Run as Administrator") and enter the following commands:

CD \

DIR OPHOOK32.DLL /s

That should report any locations where this module resides, the path might give a clue as to what it is part of.

Thanks Mr Snrub and Cluberti.

Yes, I did install/do have Omnipage Pro on this computer along with the associated scanning software. I'll try your advice to fix.

I really hope I can continue to use Omnipage for Optical-Character-Recognition. Though I don't use it all the time, several times each year, it sure comes in handy.

Is there a good way to keep Omnipage, yet solve this problem with IE?

I plan to buy a New Printer/Scanner/Copier unit in the next week or so, and it "may" have more Vista-compatible software than what I recently installed, but still want OCR capability.

Is there a good way to keep Omnipage, yet solve this problem with IE?

Well, honestly, you'd have to contact Ominpage about that specifically. They may have a newer driver that doesn't break IE that you can use, but if they don't, the likely answer to this question is "no".

It seems you are running version 9, and from a glance at Omnipage's manufacter website the latest version appears to be 16 - this specifically states Windows Vista support.

http://www.nuance.com/omnipage/professional/

However, they appear to have a blanket statement that they do not intend to provide Vista compatibility to their product before version 15:

http://www.nuance.com/vista/omnipage/upgrade/

All retail versions prior to version 15 will not be updated to be Windows Vista compatible. Most bundled versions of OmniPage packaged with scanners will not be updated with the exception of Canon scanners.

You can always ask them, though.