Steam account stealer on Windows 98 systems.

Sfor

A suspecious looking file tmp.tmp.tmp was found on a Windows 98 computer. It looks like a config file of some sort. There was an FTP server URL, FTP account name and password in it. The FTP account is valid. I logged to the FTP server, and I've found several text files generated by Universal1337 Steam Account Stealer.

Looks like the computer was attacked by a trojan. But, the trojan should not leave such critical data on the targeted computer, so I do believe it is not working correctly on a Windows 98 system. Still, remains an important question. Were the personal data stolen? Is the Universal1337 Steam Account Stealer able to retreive any data from an Windows 98 computer?

Edited by Sfor

I don't see why it couldn't if there was no firewall. There's no open port by default but if there's no resistance (no antivirus / firewall) can call home easily.

Inside threats are the worst. And they're why you should always have a firewall / antivirus. The real question is : when was the trojan stopped?

wait, are we talking about steam... as in the game manager from Valve?

Steam doesn't support Windows 9x... and I'm pretty sure hasn't for almost a year now.

Microsoft doesn't support 9x anymore either. The users of 9x forum rarely care what supported and what inst. Its more about what works and what doesnt.

Ill start from the declaration the affected computer is not mine. The infection happened a few month ago, so it's a bit late, now.

Also, the Steam Account Stealer is the name of the trojan like software. I know nothing about Valve game managers, but this is not the case, I believe.

Well, it is highly possible the personal data was stolen, but there is no proof the trojan works good enough on the Windows 98 systems, as well. Since it left the trace to the FTP account it stores the stolen data on, it is safe to say it does not work without flaws in the Windows 98.