WS2003 random shutdown

A bit puzzled here. I have a WS2003 server used as a file server also has Virtual server 2005 R2 installed with one XP virtual machine. Sometimes the server restarts/shutdown. When its back up i try and log on and have the usual question "why did the server shutdown unexpectedly" i then review the event viewer - but nothings listed.

So thought it could be running out of power with 2 systems running and as the server has 2 hard drives thought this might be the case, but when i installed the BIOS software to look at power management it seems to be fine. I cant find anything related to this problem. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Do you have two PSUs in the server?

Try changing the power cable, and where it's plugged in to.

If still no joy, you might want to try changing the PSU itself.

When you say that power manangement appeared to be fine - the BIOS can't record an 'I've lost power' event, because.. er.. by the time its lost power, it er.. is switched off.

Servers with multiple PSUs can record events when one PSU dies, as they're still getting power.

Do you have two PSUs in the server?

Try changing the power cable, and where it's plugged in to.

If still no joy, you might want to try changing the PSU itself.

When you say that power manangement appeared to be fine - the BIOS can't record an 'I've lost power' event, because.. er.. by the time its lost power, it er.. is switched off.

Servers with multiple PSUs can record events when one PSU dies, as they're still getting power.

Has one PSU.

Power wise it records the volts (according to ASUS anyway)and if the volt reaches 11 or below it means more power is required and is likely to cause a shutdown. The volt has been at 12 - 12.5 according to the software i have installed.

Ill look into the PSU see if i can get it replaced.....

Thanks