Best software to manage in the best way 8GB of ram

sonnet

Hi,

I have now a pc with 8GB of ram an Windows XP Pro X64 as OS.

I'm looking for a sowfware that would manage so much RAM in the best way in order to minimize the access and usage of the hard drive, and to keep the most part of games in ram

in order to reduce the load time, a software that would manage in intelligent way prefetch as linux, or as the superfetch of vista.

Does anyone knows application as this?

I have heard of a few software apps but I think they are trying to sell snake oil. The OS is going to manage the RAM however it deems fittest. There may be some benefits from some registry tweaks that can be done but I am pretty doubtful of that. Bottomline is I dont think so. I can give you an example. I reduced my page file size to 512 mb because of machine specs (see sig). Yesterday I fired up Oracle XE database, Oracle SOA suite, Oracle SQL Developer and Oracle Jdeveloper 10g on my machine and it used up about 2.5 GB of RAM and then it gave me a page file size too smal warning in the system tray area. I dont know fully why it would need a page file but my understanding is maybe the applications themselves need to have a set amount of hard drive space aka page file set aside for them to run optimally. So even though you could try to use a 3rd party tool to maximize RAM usage...its not going to work because individual apps will demand their own pageing file.

suryad, have you tried setting the pagefile size to "None"?? Windows will complain at first, but I've found with a lot of RAM that things work faster in general. It seems to me that any app that tries to maange your system resources in conflict with the OS is asking for trouble. There should be some setting in Oracle to to let the system manage it, or it's sloppy programming, imo.

I had it set to 512 MB because I remember some apps during install would check if there was a pagefile or not. Being an enterprise application server etc etc I guess when they wrote the code, they didnt trust the OS entirely...and that has just been propagated over time...I would love to be able to disable paging completely since I have 4 gb ram I just dont feel comfortable doing it. Also I have yet to read any benchmarks or articles about advantages of disabling the paging file though it makes sense that if you dont cache to the disk everything will be in RAM and so the system will be faster but I wonder if someone has actual say numbers or benches to prove it. Right now my machine is so fast I cant notice any difference in stuff like this :)

• 1 month later...

There are some different software solutions that give you the option to create a virtual hard drive out of memory (which when I did photoshop / web programming work) to be highly effective. Now the matter of being able to transform this into a gaming application is a different issue, unless the game itself can be completely copied into the virtual drive and ran from there (some games have protection against this)

• 2 months later...

For Software check superspeedsoftware. Kick a** top notch one of a kind unique fantastic products. Must have imho.

Also a bit on topic otherwise:

Disable Paging executive Tweak. Enable Explorer processes as separate tasks. Both of these tweaks enables system to use more ram.

However, if on x64bit as we are, Enable Lock memory pages for YOURSELF in group policy editor.

IF, and please understand this, IF security is not a problem, you couldnt care less, and dont need to reboot to often, or dont care that system might need some extra time to reboot, BECAUSE IT WILL IF U DO THIS I SAY HERE:

You can also enable lock memory pages for Local Service, Network Service, etc etc etc. Now what is the bloody point of that eh?

Well basically you are saying to the system that RAM isnt a problem, help yourself!

Also look into system that you dont tweak system to auto close programs after 5 seconds that is in nlite tweaks.

Leave it at a default. Ok i say it simply, let windows always take all the time it needs to reboot, if you enable such tweaks, it wont need probably so much on a ok system, but the more things in memory, the more things needs to be written to disc at some point. Thats where the reboot comes in.

You wont find that tweak elsewhere, so dont bother, but for me it works OK.

One important thing is if you want to get rid off pagefile, you must for a time have it enabled, set it to f.ex 64min64max, and see if windows asks for more. It shouldnt, but if so, you need to start checking what is causing that. I dont run with a pagefile. Been running without it since forever.

Anyone who tells you its a good idea, sure it is, for a default standard non-configured setup computer it is.

If you like me, modify your windows, to the point people think its a unix os you have running, it is not.

Edited by TranceEnergy