Home vs. Pro drivers

VascoMan

My buddy is using xp pro. a while back he bought a digital camcorder, and it will not work with his pc. yesterday i put MY xp-home-upgrade cd into his pc and it loaded the drivers and now his camcorder is working 100%.

why would pro not have the same drivers as home-upgrade? Which files/folders would i copy from my home-upgrade disk onto his pro disk? so that he wont need MY disk the next time he reinstalls.

thanks.

I'm inclined to think this isn't a Home versus Pro issue, but rather possibly a service pack versus service pack issue...what SP was running on the computer, as opposed to the SP on the disk? With each new service pack, new drivers are added to support new devices.

Maybe I'm all wet, though...when I get home I will look at the driver.cab's on both Home and Pro install disks to see if there's any difference.

Edited by jrf2027

his disk is pro w/ sp2

my disk is home-upgrade w/ sp1

driver.cab size is the same bytes on each. but the build date is different (pro is 2001 and home is 2003)

sp1.cab size is the same bytes on each. build date is different (pro is 2002 and home is 2003)

his disk also has sp2.cab, mine does NOT.

something else, i dont know if its relevant. when i first put my home-upgrade cd into his computer, i pointed the driver prompt to the "i386" folder but it couldnt find any drivers. it was only when i pointed the driver prompt to the "D:\" (root of the cd) that it found a driver.

Edited by VascoMan

oh and one more thing. what made us try using my home-upgrade disk. the place where he bought the camcorder, he took it back there, and they plugged in usb to one of the demo systems and it loaded the drivers right away. and at his moms house too, he plugged it in and it found drivers automatically. both the store and moms systems are xpHOME, so thats why we took my disk to see if it would work.

there must be something wrong with his pro disk or maybe pro doesnt have drivers for these kind of things??

*shrug*

heh, just thought of something. maybe copy the driver.cab and sp1.cab because they have a newer date?

Edited by VascoMan