Need clarifications on how to use

iceangel89

is there a help for the USB_MultiBoot2.zip files? i dont quite get how to use it? oh i found it Help_USB_MultiBoot2.txt. but ya, its hard to understand... but i'll try

maybe just tell us the key points. like when i get to the screen showing

Prepares MultiBoot USB-Drive provided with Windows XP Setup LocalSource

0) Change Type of USB-Drive, currently [USB-stick]

1) Change XP Setup Source Path, currently []

2) Change USB Content Source, currently [U_CONTENT]

3) Change USB-Drive Target, currently []

4) Make MultiBoot USB-Drive and Copy XP and Content Source to USB-Drive

F) Change Log File - Simple OR Extended, currently [Simple]

Q) Quit

what do i do? i am using a USB HDD so i change the 0) to USB HARDDISK right? then XP Setup source i use the folder where my XP Setup source is? (the result of nLite) then whats this "2) Change USB Content Source" ? and 3) Change USB-Drive Target is my USB HDD partition for this project? then i press 4 to make all these work right?

and 1 question, why does FAT makes things faster?

Edited by iceangel89

i am using a USB HDD so i change the 0) to USB HARDDISK right?
yep
then whats this "2) Change USB Content Source" ?
No need to change it unless you make your changes for multiboot.
and 3) Change USB-Drive Target is my USB HDD partition for this project? then i press 4 to make all these work right?
yes, yes
and 1 question, why does FAT makes things faster?
Not always, but usually. Why- I cannot comment. It's also more compatible for USB boot.

i have a problem with PE2USB. it does not detects my USB HDD (nor eSATA < does it work with eSATA by the way?) will it destroy my other data in the HDD? in another partition?

SOLVED

--- i think i know why ---

PE4USB cant handle partitions >2GB mine is 2.9GB

Edited by iceangel89

i have tried the USB_MultiBoot2. it works most of the time except a few problems (minor ones)

then PE2USB dont seem to allow me to select my WinPE2.0 folder...

PE.jpg

then since i am installing on a test partition my 3rd partition on my main hard disk,

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP" /FASTDETECT

wont work, it shld be something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP" /FASTDETECT

i guess, but this is a minor problem most ppl will install XP on the 1st partition :rolleyes: but it'll be good if i can somehow change this entry.

i noticed a few things. since i am testing, the install wipes out my old OS (main) entry from the boot.ini. such that my boot.ini (in C:) becomes

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

this looks all right but it does not work... it gives me some error when booting... then i booted from the USB drive and selected the 2nd entry

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP" /FASTDETECT

then it works, is the error because of the missing "/noexecute=optin /fastdetect" ? from the "default" line? and did u do something such that the timeout changes to 1?

then i am just curious about somethings...

since i am booting from a USB Thumbdrive, the C: will be the thumbdrive's 1st partition? not the C:\ where my WINDOWS is?

i think since GRUB4DOS can do most of the work, or am i wrong, y not just use it? or is the .bs files used in boot.ini only?

i remember u mentioned somewhere i can use something MakeBS or something like that to make these .bs files from SETUPLDR or BOOTMGR files isit?

if i am thinking of doing one without so many things, for a start, so only XP install and WinPE, how shld i go abt doing it the manual way? i have done it b4 but i have forgotten many parts...

1) did a winnt32 /makelocalsource /noreboot /unattend:G:\XPPRO3\I386\winnt.sif (where G:\XPPRO3\I386\winnt.sif is the file created by nLite i suppose)

2) copy the folders $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS to my USB HDD/Thumbdrive XPPRO folder (where all my XP installation files are)

then from here i forgot how to continue... so the GRUB4DOS/menu.lst parts... and maybe i need to copy SETUPLDR to the root and rename it or something?

---UPDATE---

i tried booting WinPE2.0 using the steps then it bust brings me to the boot.ini menu. what does this mean? -- err i guess i need the WinPE files in the root of the partition?

then the XP SETUP fails showing an error that the txtsetup.sif is missing or corrupt. mine txtsetup.sif files are created by nLite that wont be a problem right? -- similarly, the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS folers need to be in the root partition?

can i have these files in folders?

thanks

Edited by iceangel89