cd-r wipe

Dustinwmew

It doesnt hurt your microwave at all. I nuke all my old CD's for 3 seconds each and it guarantees that the CD is toast. I have done it for years with the same microwave.

Microwave ovens make good test labs for studying electromagnetism - as long as you're prepared to write off your microwave oven if anything goes wrong. Anything from home made ball lightning to exploding grapes can be produced in them. One of the common experiments is to stick a CD or pop-tart wrapper in the microwave oven and see what happens. The arcs are caused by the high voltage induced in the conductive parts. BTW this won't hurt the microwave but it does stink. Please note that you do any of this at your own risk.

http://www.ukrocketman.com/digital/emblaster.shtml

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Well, a CD-R is like a punch card.

Once you punch a hole, you can't UN-Punch it.

No software in the world will erase a CD-R.

To assure that no-one will ever read one of your CD's, you must destroy that CD.

There are commercial Shredders on sale at every Office Supply Store that will cut a CD up into little pieces.

I have one and I assure you..... It works!

I've shredded hundreds of CD's already.

Works great for Credit Cards too. :thumbup

Or just take the CD out in the yard or down to the furnace and burn it up. They go quite quickly!

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Well, a CD-R is like a punch card.

Once you punch a hole, you can't UN-Punch it.

No software in the world will erase a CD-R.

But you can render a punch card unreadable by punching all the possible holes. In theory it should be possible to render a CD unreadable by physically burning all the unburned bits. Of course, you would have to be careful to burn at the same power and duration that the CD was originally burned, lest the original pits be discernable from the newly burned pits.

... but it would obviously be easier to nuke/melt it or use a belt sander. Sanding it down makes LOTS of conductive dust though.