XP embedded, worth to replace nLite?

weEvil

I saw XP embedded. Is it worth trying it out? Is it fully functional assuming everything is installed?

They mention it can be used for:

* ATMs

* Printers and scanners

* Advanced set-top boxes

* Advanced residential gateways and home servers

* Industrial robotics

* Networked media servers

* Medical devices

* Gaming devices

:blink:

I also saw Vista embedded!

I saw XP embedded. Is it worth trying it out? Is it fully functional assuming everything is installed?

They mention it can be used for:

* ATMs

* Printers and scanners

* Advanced set-top boxes

* Advanced residential gateways and home servers

* Industrial robotics

* Networked media servers

* Medical devices

* Gaming devices

:blink:

I also saw Vista embedded!

I don't think you can install Windows XP Embedded on normal household computers.

When first I heard about XPe, I thought it has to be small like Win2k. In fact all the graphical bloat is still there intact: shell32 is 8 Megs, and explorer is 1 Meg. IMO, the best embedded system can be created from lite 2000, or maybe mini Win98 if the hardware is compatible.

XPe is designed to run on thin clients. We use them in the field, mostly kiosk setups. The thin clients have a 256mb flash drive where XPe runs from, and it also has 256mb RAM. We build the thin clients with bootable USB sticks that are batched to drop the XPe image, then change the boot order back to the built-in flash. The thin clients have no moving parts and are very small. I've never seen an installer or setup disks for XPe; as far as I know it's only available in image format from the thin client vendors. It is definitely not a version of XP designed to be customized by OEMs, and is not performance-oriented either.

The only use at home that I could think of would be to use it for more secure web browsing via a thin client, as most flavors of XPe come with a "write filter" that forgets anything saved to it upon reboot of the thin client. Why would you want to use this instead of XP Pro?

-Corey

The thin client vendors have to install a bloaty SQL server for the runtime image creation. This also requires filesharing to be enabled on the system. nLite on the other hand only needs itself and selected NET Framework libraries.

The two key components of XPe – minlogon and ewf – can be transplanted into regular Windows XP. Lite Windows XP can also be made small (but not as small as Win2k).

• 2 weeks later...
The thin client vendors have to install a bloaty SQL server for the runtime image creation. This also requires filesharing to be enabled on the system. nLite on the other hand only needs itself and selected NET Framework libraries.

The two key components of XPe – minlogon and ewf – can be transplanted into regular Windows XP. Lite Windows XP can also be made small (but not as small as Win2k).

I see. I have no issue with temporary installing a bloated SQL server for building XPe. I have a very good uninstaller app that scrubs my system clean. It monitors the installation process.

• 6 months later...
XPe is designed to run on thin clients. We use them in the field, mostly kiosk setups. The thin clients have a 256mb flash drive where XPe runs from, and it also has 256mb RAM. We build the thin clients with bootable USB sticks that are batched to drop the XPe image, then change the boot order back to the built-in flash. The thin clients have no moving parts and are very small. I've never seen an installer or setup disks for XPe; as far as I know it's only available in image format from the thin client vendors. It is definitely not a version of XP designed to be customized by OEMs, and is not performance-oriented either.

The only use at home that I could think of would be to use it for more secure web browsing via a thin client, as most flavors of XPe come with a "write filter" that forgets anything saved to it upon reboot of the thin client. Why would you want to use this instead of XP Pro?

-Corey

Just like you say above, I use my Wyse S90 very small thin client for more secure web browsing. Microsoft never bothers it for updates or anything, the write filter protects it.

I have found the ADMIN mode to add or remove what I want and surf the net while internet, vTUNER, radio plays.

The XPe is faster than any LINUX in a usb stick I have tried on this S90. I got the image from Wyse but have a usb stick that reads or writes the image to the stick or from the stick so I can copy my altered image to other units or for backup.

I like the very small size, can hide it behind the LCD display, speed for a 500mhz unit is fast and nothing bothers it for updates, virus checks, ect.

This is one of 12 different systems I have and mess with. Another Wyse unit somewhat like the S90 but with smaller flash drive and ram runs Windows CE. I am sorry but I dont like CE and would like to find something else like WIN 98SE embedded for it? I see 98SE lite has such but dont answer my emails?

Edited by earlytv

I don't think you can install Windows XP Embedded on normal household computers.

Yes you can. It can also be made to be a fully fuctional and bootable OS from a CD or USB stick.

There are guides for getting XPe running in Vmware (need a physical partition) and tranferring it to a live system or to a CD/USB.

http://www.colin-uk.com/stuff/XPeArticle.zip

That contains a word document with all necessary instructions.