Uninstall/reinstall

Daniel-J

Recently, I decided to uninstall Nero SmartStart Essentials (7) due to problems with making an audio CD. I decided to install Nero Burning Rom 5 because I've used it in the past and liked it. However, after installing it, it would not see my DVD burner (probably can only see a CD burner). So, instead of uninstalling it, I decided to put Nero 7 back on. I noticed that some of my settings were retained which led me to believe the registry entries were not removed when I did the uninstall. My question is, does uninstalling and reinstalling simply "overwrite" any registry entries left behind, or are new entries created, causing the registry to grow larger?

I also have TweakNow Registry cleaner basic installed and periodically check for errors. If and when it finds errors, I delete the safe ones, trusting the program knows best. Having done this (and assuming the enties were indeed safe to delete) does this cause other potential errors in the registry like large "gaps" or fragmenting? Is there a need to do anything about this? Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post.