What components to remove?

bloodwound

Hi All

My first post, and pleased to meet you all. Great work Nuhi & everyone else.

Does anyone know what excactly what can and cannot be removed that doesn't break up SP1 and future SP?

I guess the drivers are OK, but I'd like to strip down the image a bit more. It isn't meant as hardcore use but a good installation that is meant to last. (so compatibility with future SP is a plus)

Thanks

Not even some drivers? (all 900+ MB of it :) )

Shall I try and report back?

Also some asian language support takes up a lot of space, and "natural language", but I guess the SP1 update is depending on them :(

Surely SP1 can't be dependent on EVERYTHING?

Is there any way to find out? You see I want a "good" install (not hardcore) so I could in theory install it on my mothers PC , just without some of bloated features that she doesn't need, and just leave it at that. I don't want her to call me every time there is a SP availabe. I don't want to reinstall Vista everytime there is a SP available.

Well that's true, we are on our own. But the SP1 installer should be intelligent enough to just "jump" over uninstalled components. At least the "big ones" like speech support (Are you kidding us MS?) , asian languages, natural language, maybe the OOBE thing + a couple of others.

Doesn't Service Packs for XP install on nlited installs, or will we have to reinstall XP when SP3 hits as well ?

like nuhi and cluberti said

there's no point in doing this, it'd be a nightmare to track the current and unforeseeable dependancies

starting at a new base of sp1 is the only viable option

Well that's true, we are on our own. But the SP1 installer should be intelligent enough to just "jump" over uninstalled components. At least the "big ones" like speech support (Are you kidding us MS?) , asian languages, natural language, maybe the OOBE thing + a couple of others.

Doesn't Service Packs for XP install on nlited installs, or will we have to reinstall XP when SP3 hits as well ?

Yeah they could have skipped chunks of it since all parts have per-component update. Also where is slipstream. Problem here is that the SP had to be released fast to help Vista users so no time for luxury of flexibility.

Also Vista architecture is new, give them some time, they already said that SP2 will have slipstream, maybe it will skip missing parts as well, especially now when they see that it might be useful.

XP Sp3 install might even work on a lite XP but then again I would not recommend it. It could return some parts.

Even for a full OS it's best to reinstall when SP comes out. If reinstallation once a year is too much fuss then don't tamper with the OS.

Well I just found out the hard way tonight that SP1 RTM won't work on a vLited install.

I personally run Vista Business x64 myself. I guess after SP1 RTM is offically released I'll order an x64 disc from Windows Alternate Media (I haven't used it yet with my key) and hope it comes with sp1 integrated.

sp1 doesn't work for me.

it starts, and when the progress bar reaches the end i get this 0x80070002 error code.

but i did remove many things :S

windows update doesn't even show me the update (though i tried the registry "hack").

the offline installer shows that error :S

I removed Drivers 900MB, Languages 1GB and from media Video and Picture Samples 500MB. Total saving of 2.5GB. SP1 WORKED :)

I realize its better to do it on reverse intergrated Vista, but I don't want to take a risk of there being another revision when final SP1 comes out, so I dicided to strip it down andinstall teh final SP1 when it comes out