Tooltip fix part of any of these projects?

Bleeder

Does anyone know if any of the projects here (including unofficial hotfixes) have incorporated the tooltip fix for the infamous 10+ year-old tooltip bug?

Example:

(notice how the taskbar partially covers the tooltip)

infamoustooltipbuggr6.png

There is a fix called ToolTipFixer that supposedly works on Win9x if you have .NET 2.0 installed, but I would prefer that I didn't need to have .NET for this.

Edited by Bleeder

Does anyone know if any of the projects here (including unofficial hotfixes) have incorporated the tooltip fix for the infamous 10+ year-old tooltip bug?

There is a fix called ToolTipFixer that supposedly works on Win9x if you have .NET 2.0 installed, but I would prefer that I didn't need to have .NET for this.

Short answer: no.

I am aware of this ToolTip Fixer, i use it in the unattended Windows XP DVDs that i make and release. Due to the need to have .NET 2.0 installed, this isn't going to be included in Auto-Patcher any time soon, but you are welcome to install it yourself. It will not work without .NET 2.0.

If it can't be done in a simple bit of code, then it's probably not worthwhile. I definitely don't want to see any of these projects bloated with .NET code.

Edited by Bleeder

What is the infamous 10+ year-old tooltip bug, please? :blink:

See my original post. I will be adding an example image shortly.

Sure. I missed the link. Sorry. Guess I was too sleepy at the time. Then again, it seems to me your posted link already brings the solution you seek: well down below in the page it says, rather tersely: Erwin Ried has a similar solution as well here. The link in "here" points to Ewin Ried's page, in spanish. In that page there is a download link for Erwin's alternate solution, and as he himself stated on the response part of the page you indicated: "My solution runs as a service. Is not the optimal solution, is a bit lighter than yours (is in VB6 not .Net)". So, try Erwin's solution. It does not use .Net but the patcher is in spanish. It may work with english versions, but it also may not. Anyway you should test it. In the case it's not compatible with english versions, try contacting Erwin Ried. He is fluent in english, and probably will be glad to provide an english version of his patch. HTH.

BTW, try as I might, I am unable to reproduce that bug in my own system (Win 98SE + 98SE2ME, with all available updates, but no .Net). Ain't it a NT/2k/XP/2k3 bug only? Are you sure?

Edited by dencorso

BTW, try as I might, I am unable to reproduce that bug in my own system (Win 98SE + 98SE2ME, with all available updates, but no .Net). Ain't it a NT/2k/XP/2k3 bug only? Are you sure?

Hmm, I'm unable to reproduce this bug using the method mentioned on that ToolTipFixer page. Perhaps the bug exhibits itself under different circumstances under Win9x?

since i have here Net2.0 for DX Managed code i shall take a look at that "tootip fix". (net really helps me to improve graphics performance - aproximately 10 percent) Also i have more trouble with tooltips here. if any of them appears video stream is stopped for less than a second...

actually there are two fixes. one is on the linke above, for the second one look at erwin riedls page.

Edited by Offler

Maybe just another window that lost it's HWND_TOPMOST 'attribute', happens on 98 sometimes... even the taskbar does

Ok I thought maybe I was going crazy but now someone else confirms the problem on 98. Thanks!

To Bleeder

I had this problem once on XP. I fixed it by this: in Taskbar Properties

- Turn off the option "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows"

- Apply it

- After that, turn it on

- Apply it again

This worked for me. If it didn't work, then you could try to do the same with the option "Auto-hide the Taskbar". I know you have this problem not on XP. I am not sure if it works on 98 or not. Just give it a try, Bleeder.

PS. Texts are a little differrent on Win 98: just "Always on top" and "Auto hide".