Something New To Play With

InTheWayBoy

So I'm really looking forward to messing with all the new GPO advancements, the virtualization, and I'm really stoked about the SMB2 benchmarks! Now all I have to do is persuade my finance people that we 'need' this...**** the red tape!

But for now I'm switching over to 2K8 in all my other projects. First step is to see how many functional Core servers I can virtualize compared to Full servers. I wonder if you could replace all your servers with Core servers and just have one station with all the admin tools on it...I'll let ya know how well that works ;)

So I'm really looking forward to messing with all the new GPO advancements, the virtualization, and I'm really stoked about the SMB2 benchmarks! Now all I have to do is persuade my finance people that we 'need' this...**** the red tape!

But for now I'm switching over to 2K8 in all my other projects. First step is to see how many functional Core servers I can virtualize compared to Full servers. I wonder if you could replace all your servers with Core servers and just have one station with all the admin tools on it...I'll let ya know how well that works ;)

remeber the virtulization software is still in beta, that part will be released later this year, it runs great now, but can't wait to see how it does in full rtm! there are a ton of new features to play withif you want a way to get 2008 into the environment fast, leverage NAP (network Access protection) from a high end view to it is system that allows you to monitor on computers connecting to you network and verify that they meet criteria set by you for security (AV up to date, firewall on, etc etc) if they don't have these things, then they are quarentined until they are brought into good health standings. it is an amazingly easy feature to setup and works great!

@valter,

I think Virtual Server is being replaced by Hyper-V.

And theres loads of people that don't like VMWare.

Having said that, theres loads of people that don't like Virtual Server / Virtual PC either. :)

-Edit-

Isn't Hyper-V going to be availible to all the 64bit versions of 2008 Server?

Edited by ZaForD

Isn't Hyper-V going to be availible to all the 64bit versions of 2008 Server?

You have to actually go and purchase a copy that specifically states it comes without hyper-v (standard, enterprise, or datacenter - web doesn't come with it at all in any version). Otherwise, hyper-v comes with the OS (core or full GUI).

why would anyone want to purchase enterprise version of the win2k8 server with hyper-v, when both virtual server and vmware server are free produtcs?

Hyper-V is somewhere in-between VMWare server (free) and ESX server (very expensive) - it supports hardware virtualization assist in AMD and Intel x64 processors, can do snapshot trees, etc. VMWare server cannot do snapshot trees, and it's hardware virtualization support is minimal compared to hyper-v and full ESX server. Plus, the hyper-v VMs can be clustered, which means high availability (like ESX server), whereas VMWare server (free) cannot.

the 32bit edition have the hyper-V as well

The final build is slated for x64 only.

How will this compare to the Full virtualization additions that are suppose to be released later this year? or am i thinking og hyper-v?

How will this compare to the Full virtualization additions that are suppose to be released later this year? or am i thinking og hyper-v?

Yes, Viridian became Microsoft Server Virtualization became hyper-v, which releases RTM 180 days after 2008 RTM'ed.