Anyone figured out how to remove "Shop for music online"

arfett

I find it quite lame that when I click on a folder containing mp3 files it brings up an entry to shop for music online. I've searched everywhere in the registry and can't seem to find the key that gets rid of this crap. Has anyone else tried and had any luck removing this?

Edited by arfett

Vista is the same as XP as far as folder type

Vista will try to determine the best file type based on content, that way if you have mp3's the folder will have columns such as artist, cd, etc.

The key used for this is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations

For example, the my pictures folder uses Image. if you delete image from the above folder, the task for my pictures goes bye bye.

For mp3, i assume vista would be using Directory.Audio. See what's there. As a last resort you could delete that key and you won't see that task ever again.

Also, the text is in shell32.dll. If you search shell32.dll for "s h o p", you'll find the text. You could hex this file to remove the text.

-gosh

• 4 months later...

Got you, you sucker!

Under Vista Ultimate (at least) remove this offensive key here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\Directory.Audio\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPShopMusic

No hacking the shell and no reboot required. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Can we get a quick screenshot to know what "Shop for music online" you guys are referring to? I've never seen that anywhere (on stock Vista Ultimate), even in folders with only mp3's.

52969796bl1.jpg

• 4 months later...
what edition are you running? i havent seen that in business, basic, or enterprise. and i just looked and couldnt find it on this business edition

havent used premium or ultimate enough to have noticed it.

I don't have it either... Vista Business x86.

Ah, that key. It's registered by wmpshell.dll (another reason not to use that WMP POS)

Reg tweak to get rid of it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\Directory.Audio\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPShopMusic]