Checking if this copy of Vista is Illegal?

ripken204

so my friend decided to finally get vista with SP1 being here and all.

but he decided to get it off of craigslist.

he got it for $70. the guy said that it was a retial key

and he also said that he made it unattended. he didnt even ship the original disk.

so after installtion, i first notice the GRUB bootloader for a split second.. and once in vista i notice that it is registered as an oem dell.. with logo and all..

doesnt this sound extremely familiar to that dell oem bios cracked version???

then i find a file which contains:

"Vista Ultimate DELL OEM Permanently Actived Edition (hAwIE)"

so i had my friend email the guy all of this information but the guy refused to do a refund. he says that it is legit..

he also said that this copy is able to activate up to 10 comps at once!?

so what do you guys think about this?

i am thinking of having my friend filing a paypal dispute. but the guy is saying that he has all the emails saying that they agreed upon the transaction. a transaction where he promised a retail legit key..

so basically i need to prove that the key is not legit..

Edited by ripken204

#1 passes b/c that is basically the reason of the crack, to be able to pass all of that

for #2, the product key and product key hash matches exactly to the cracked version. i have been arguing with this guy over email and he still says that it is legit, haha.

1. Stop dealing with the seller.

2. Call 1-800-R-U-LEGIT and tell them what you told us. then send any chatlogs/emails from the seller to them if they ask for them.

3. Let Microsoft deal with him lawyer-style

I've heard of situations where a person has been scammed like this can receive a legit license in exchange for helping MS catch someone selling pirated software. I dunno if those are just old internet urban legends but i'd do it for free. seriously, whats the worst they can do to you? blacklist your serial on pirated copy? -i can almost guarantee thats already taken care of.

i will take a look at that :)

and MS claims to have stopped the oem bios crack with SP1

Someone will come up with another, but yes, SP1 disables the current BIOS cracks. I'd call the number and rat out the seller, as he's up to no good. Your buddy got shafted out of $70, but when it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Attempting to update a cracked copy of XP or to download specific files from MS download will take you to a MS website that offers to either sell you a valid copy of XP or provide you with a free copy of XP if you provide information about the seller. I'd likely attempt to upgrade or download hit the website and try to get the legit free copy, assuming that the offer has been extended to Vista.

Yes, it's going to report itself as genuine, even though it's not (otherwise why develop and run the crack, in the mind of the cracker...). Just contact MS, give them your story, and provide them any screenshots or data they need. Trust me, they're very likely to go after the guy.

I've heard of situations where a person has been scammed like this can receive a legit license in exchange for helping MS catch someone selling pirated software. I dunno if those are just old internet urban legends but i'd do it for free. seriously, whats the worst they can do to you? blacklist your serial on pirated copy? -i can almost guarantee thats already taken care of.

The free license only applies if you have a high quality fake.

so the thing is now, i have been kinda fighting this guy thru the paypal dispute thing.

basically he has a "business partner" who gives him these disks to sell. he said that his copy works perfectly and doesnt contain any of those files i listed on the disk.

also he says that since it activates fine, works fine, updates fine, that he refuses a refund

i say, it only activates fine b/c it is cracked!

then he says, well you prolly have made copies of the disk for youself anyways

im like, why!? i can just download this same exact disk if i wanted to.

so then the guy keeps saying that i am lying and s*** like that

even tho he is 100% wrong

should i escelate the paypal? or contact MS?

i emailed piracy@microsoft.com and they just replied

"Due to the sensitive legal nature of these matters, it is not possible for us to provide feedback or updates about actions taken on your submission."

i will just have to call them tomorrow