Questions about ImageX...

underxp

Hi, I want to reverse integrate SP1 RC Refresh 2 into my Vista Home Basic RTM Spanish. I understand all the steps (install Vista RTM in another partition/drive, enter Audit Mode, install SP1, close Audit Mode, boot in another XP/WinPE and run ImageX to compress the partition where installed Vista, ... and last vLite it). But I have the next questions:

1) How long the reverse integration is ? (from install Vista RTM to successfully create the new install.wim)

2) ImageX delete unnecesary files (pagefile, hibernation file, etc) BEFORE create the install.wim ? Or I must do it BEFORE run imageX ?

3) Is safe to run Vsp1cln.exe BEFORE run ImageX (aka Vclsp1cln.exe is compatible with vLite) ? Because I read this in another forum:

"Microsoft has included a new tool with SP1 called Vsp1cln.exe which can be used to remove older versions

of components that have been upgraded to new versions in SP1 to save space.

Once SP1 is installed, simply run Vsp1cln.exe via Winkey+R (Run command) or via the command prompt)"

4) Wich files/folder can I delete manually BEFORE run imageX command to reduce install.wim size ? (of course, that don't break vLite compatibility)

1. Depends on your system and hdd speed. It's a few hours work I'd say.

2. Imagex will ignore and automatically not include pagefile, hibernation etc. when it starts capturing the wim.

3. Yes, you should run vsp1cln before imagex while you're still in the Vista install and it should be fine for vLite use.

4. Don't delete any files before imagex'ing it. That's what vLite is for.

Edited by Arneh

2. Imagex will ignore and automatically not include pagefile, hibernation etc. when it starts capturing the wim.

3. Yes, you should run vsp1cln before imagex while you're still in the Vista install and it should be fine for vLite use.

Almost correct, but a clarification on point 3: this should be done from another Vista installation (as should running imagex to create the install.wim).

Well, I have XP installed in my old machine in drive C: and will install Vista RTM in drive D: ; after install Vista RTM/SP1 and running vsp1cln, I will boot in XP and run ImageX/GImageX from it. It's correct ?

Almost correct, but a clarification on point 3: this should be done from another Vista installation (as should running imagex to create the install.wim).

No, vsp1cln can be run from inside the SP1 Vista install. vsp1cln is both an online and offline tool meaning it can be run in the install or from another install as stated in the Vista SP1 deployment docs:

"Typically, you should run Vsp1cln.exe if you want to reclaim this disk space after applying SP1 and if you will not need to uninstall SP1. You can use this file both online and offline, but you must have SP1 installed."

Edited by Arneh

Well, I have XP installed in my old machine in drive C: and will install Vista RTM in drive D: ; after install Vista RTM/SP1 and running vsp1cln, I will boot in XP and run ImageX/GImageX from it. It's correct ?

Yes, all you need is 2 OS installs. One is the Vista RTM install which you'll be updating to SP1 and running vsp1cln in it and the other is the XP install which you'll use to capture/imagex the Vista install.

Edited by Arneh