Windows 98SE "Immolator" - things to finish

Offler

Immolator is not a standalone project. it stands on many project which are available all over the Internet. Most of them are here, rest is scattered all over.

Its purpose is to show how many features can be performed with Windows98 (9x) and also help users to find some very good apps to resolve system errors which they may find. Also all projects and system modifications here are compatible between them, but only if they are installed in correct order. These upgrades and modifications are picked up to improve stability and compatibility while not affecting backward compatibility with other formats or apps.

Also i still see here some bugs which i want to have fixed on my system, and as i hope it will provide feedback or inspiration to some wiseguys on this forum :)

also i am planning to add here some tricks how to work some apps better (mostly tv tuner related)...

the system which i am trying to build is intended for most widest compatibility and for this reason i pick up only those upgrades which are mostly based on dos7, win9x files and all possible upgrades which has MS released. I dont want to rebuild the system completely, i want to put it to its highest level possible.

(therefore i dont use now wll, uberskin or renovatio, since i have experienced incompatibility with some apps)

But i will appreciate any help, and i hope my solutions and experience shall be useful for other users/project builders :)

Edited by Offler

Icon Tweaker tested - interesting tool, but my system still miss 32bit icons so most of icons used were little bit crushed:

SEARCH FOR NTFS (ntfs like) FILESYSTEM

Current solution available: WinInternals NTFS Driver for win98

Buggy and not bootable.

Examining: NTFS-3G ( look in wikipedia)

Icon Tweaker tested - interesting tool, but my system still miss 32bit icons so most of icons used were little bit crushed:

SEARCH FOR NTFS (ntfs like) FILESYSTEM

Current solution available: WinInternals NTFS Driver for win98

Buggy and not bootable.

Examining: NTFS-3G ( look in wikipedia)

Some links/info in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/NTFS-support-Win...ME-t110814.html

jaclaz

Report:

- Slimbrowser passed all test for required period and causes no errors.

- Miranda does not passed the tests. sometimes its icons are frozen and incoming messages are not shown.

- Faststone passed.

- suitable videoconferencing tool still not found

Report:

- Miranda does not passed the tests. sometimes its icons are frozen and incoming messages are not shown.

Which version did you test? There's 0.7.3 stable release, 0.7.4 Release Candidate and 0.8.x alpha (development) series.

Then, the behavior on incoming messages can be tweaked more or less, depending on the active messaging plug-in (SRMM, Scriver, tabSRMM, nConvers++). If you want the message window to automatically pop up when receiving a message, you'll have to go to Options > Message sessions (name may vary) > Messaging and mark 'Automatically pop up the window when' and the respective status modes (your status) when it should do that. This works for SRMM and Scriver. The other two have different GUIs, but options should be pretty much similar.

If you join the forums and read/search around a bit, you'll find much more than you'll ever need to know. :rolleyes:

it was 0.7.3 stable release. i pickup mostly stable versions because i want test only last releases if possible.

Also i dont want message windows to popup. i just want an icon shown in taskbar. i tried some settings but overally miranda was making trouble. minor trouble but when i respond after one hour while still being online...

i shall see and test next stable release, but miranda makes sense for me if it shall be able to communicate with webcam - as an conferencing tool.

here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

opengl32.dll seems to be newer than other versions i encountered. glu32.dll is older that in win98se package/nsp1... other files are not interesting.

Package dont install itself - its selfextractor. only file you need is opengl32.dll. Seems to be little bit optimized. i have measured one fps + in some tests and few percents overally.

sry bad link :)

Edited by Offler

opengl32.dll seems to be newer than other versions i encountered. glu32.dll is older that in win98se package/nsp1... other files are not interesting.

Sorry but this version is not newer than that included version in SP2 & 3. Only date is different from Win95 OpenGL 1.1 update, link, which is dated as 1996.

i have checked it out and you are right.

the last version which i have available (from NSP 2.1) is 4.1.1381.7035 dated 7.1.2001. i wonder why have they put that version there with that date... i shall recheck the performance of these files in 3d test. if the old one will be more effective i shall use it.

mostly i am interested in applications of this types:

Editors and viewers for:

- text (open office)

- audio (cooledit 2000)

- video (mpc, virtualdub)

- web (slimbrowser, and plain notepad, sometimes frontpage)

- images (photoshop, faststone)

Applications for communication:

- web browser (included as web in previous section)

- instant messaging tool (for icq or whatever)

- audio communication tool (for gamers or other purposes)

- video communication tool (mebeam activex works quite good, but only in web browser)

Hardware related applications

- all disk tools

- all drivers

- special tools for scanners, tv and radio tuners which are needed for their function

Windows upgrades which may help fix some issues and bugs:

- uberskin fix toolbar locking

- all service packs and other system modules such as framework, mdac, IE6...

Upgrades such as:

- wll

- 32bit icons

- transparent icons

- localisations

are partially in my interest, but if they cause trouble (and they cause trouble right now) i really don want use them

Applications as:

- total commander

are parts of user interface which i personally need.

DM2 maybe shall be able to solve trouble with MPC and icon creating, but these are just minor trouble in user interface of MPC. mostly i need only to click once instead of installing any tool :)

right now i am looking for freeware replacement for Adobe Photoshop 5.5, since this old version does not support 32bi BMP and it is quite bad because i cannot read most bmps used for skinning, but i can create skins compatible with 16bit and lower graphic devices.

all of the apps must be able to work with different types of hardware

i have recently tested new Tv Tuner Leadtek DTV2000h. This one is hybrid (analog+digital+fm). Althought manufacturer says that the driver is available only to WindowXP and higher. it is truth only in half.

analog tuner works normally. the driver comply to the WDM standards.

audio capture does not work. driver comply to wdm partially - as with KX audio driver. it needs windows ME. i have here NTkern.vxd from year 2001 but mmdevldr.vxd is from year 1999. this is possibly the reason.

digital DVB-T driver has not been installed yet. its INF file is in Win2k format so i am trying to rewrite it.

Also i have analyzed *.sys files with dependency walker. they needed ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll. so i have installed them into System directory. it doesnt seem that it has helped the driver to work better but dependency walker shows that they are being used.

for these reasons i have taken a look at my win2k cd and at winME cd to extract needed files. i found them, but i failed to find mmdevldr in winME cd and on intenet i found only very old version.

therefore i think that could be some place for standalone driver handling update (althought i have not tested all available upgrade packs)

edit: if possible send me mmdevldr from winME here or on mail mir-@post"dot"cz

Edited by Offler