Vista SP1 RTM ....Formal Release on Monday Feb 4 .... Slipstream ?

benifin

Hi all !

Please see here:-

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=505

Assuming the report is right, the MS servers will be getting a hammering in a few days.

Question for nuhi re: Slipstreaming

Assuming MS release SP1 with the abiltiy to be slipstreamed [ ie: like the XP Service Packs can be slipstreamed with Nlite ]

will the current 1.1 Vlite allow users to slipstream SP1 or would that require an update from your end ?

All the best,

Ben

Edited by benifin

Assuming MS release SP1 with the abiltiy to be slipstreamed [ ie: like the XP Service Packs can be slipstreamed with Nlite ]

Vista SP1 cannot be "slipstreamed" to an offline Vista image (and that includes the RTM install.wim from the Vista CD):

customers cannot apply SP1 to offline Windows Vista images.
Integrated DVD. The integrated DVD version of Windows Vista SP1 is media that already contains the service pack, which companies can use to deploy the operating system to new computers or to upgrade existing computers. Availability will be limited. Microsoft will update Windows Vista retail media with Windows Vista SP1 slipstream media in the future. Slipstream media will also be available to Volume Licensing customers.

Maybe it can be hacked in, but SP1 will not be slipstream-able. Rumor has it that future service packs will be.

Hmmm .............just wondering ...............

Assuming the article IS correct and it does go Final / RTM on Feb 4, does that mean it will be avaialble for download direclty from M/S at the same time / same day ?

Ben

Interesting. Wonder why they made SP1 not slipstreamable.
Not only that, but Office 2007 SP1 can't be slipstreamed.

They're going backwards... or just dumb, one of those.

your absolutely wrong about office 2007..its not the slipstream that were all once use to but its done with the SP1 converted into .msp files and put into the 'updates' folder that is listed with office cd...in fact I just installed Office Enterprise 2007 SP1 DVD after installing Vista....Vista DVD also has a 'update' folder and I wonder if something similar will be the future option to some.

Edited by jroc

That's not a slipstream; not 'a slipstream method that I'm not used to' but it goes by some other name than "slipstream" or "integration". Perhaps a "post-setup task".

What if Microsoft just says "Oh we'll just put the Vista service pack file in the Updates folder and distribute it to retailers and put a nice "SP1" bubble on the box"? Not only would it take up more space, but AFTER setup you'd be waiting another good hour to have "Vista SP1", spending more time just so the SP1 installer can overwrite the files you just copied when the install source itself could have been updated.

Edited by redxii

That's not a slipstream; not 'a slipstream method that I'm not used to' but it goes by some other name than "slipstream" or "integration". Perhaps a "post-setup task".

What if Microsoft just says "Oh we'll just put the Vista service pack file in the Updates folder and distribute it to retailers and put a nice "SP1" bubble on the box"? Not only would it take up more space, but AFTER setup you'd be waiting another good hour to have "Vista SP1", spending more time just so the SP1 installer can overwrite the files you just copied when the install source itself could have been updated.

not sure i understand your beef...but Office 2007 SP1 didn't take any longer to install....and a DVD is 4.7g and Vista RTM is 2.54g so that leaves plenty of extra space on a DVD.... I got a Vista SP1 Slipstreamed DVD and its 2.87g and thats about 300mbs more than the 2.54g original RTM...so if its space that worries you..then SP1 won't be for you...I'm also beta tester and the SP1 RC1 Refresh that I grabbed from connect is also 2.87g....and both installed with the same amount of time as RTM also....so?

if its available now..then a method will be too...maybe it will be new and times change but microsoft is showing they are in control.

Edited by jroc

Basically:

1. It's been known for quite a while that SP1 will not be directly slippable, there should be no surprise about that by now. MS will not make a slippable service pack until SP2.

2. MS will release preintegrated/prebuilt full SP1 ISOs to OEM/Retail and probably MSDN etc.

3. There is no "Updates" folder like behavior for Vista where it would pick up any updates in the Updates folder unlike Office 2007 where it will pick them up and install them.

4. If you can't get the full SP1 ISO, then check vlite.net's first post for a link to the guide on how to "Reverse Integrate" SP1 using WU or the EXE but again, getting the full SP1 ISO is the much much better option compared to trying to "Reverse Integrate" it.

Edited by Arneh

Interesting. Wonder why they made SP1 not slipstreamable.

The servicing engine changes make slipstreaming the current SP1 package impossible. This is expected to be fixed in SP2, although I'm not sure if it'll require SP1 media to slipstream it or not (the servicing changes will come in SP1, from what I understand, so I'm not sure if you'll need actual SP1 media to slip SP2, or just a machine running SP1...).

I have tried the Reverse Integration with build 1800 the "so called" RTM .. and it works flawless, have done it with Ultimate x86 and x64 and done it with Home Premium x86 and x64 .. no i am about to "glue" them together to one DVD :)

Heh, if you have the 18000 build from 080118, that most likely is not RTM. As for "gluing" them together, that's actually quite easy with SP1. The reason being Vista x64 can now be installed using the 32bit setup so all you need to do is make a copy of your x86 iso, then imagex /export the x64 index from the x64 install.wim to the x86's install.wim and repack the ISO and you're good to go. There's no need to use the x64 boot.wim or anything else fancy.

Edited by Arneh

As far as I know with the new WAIK (which is in beta) allowed slipstreaming of new types of hotfixes/updates. Since SP1 also has a new type of cabinet files, maybe it can be slipstreamed by this method as in the WAIK when it is released?

You really need to get SP1 integrated media.

Reverse integration of SP1 is a waste of time.

You will only have SP1 in your install.wim and not in your boot.wim or any of the RTM files on the installation media.

Updated boot drivers and new servicing stack won't be available during setup. I fully support customizing your windows image, but service packs are not customization, they should be done right.

You will only have SP1 in your install.wim and not in your boot.wim or any of the RTM files on the installation media.

Updated boot drivers and new servicing stack won't be available during setup. I fully support customizing your windows image, but service packs are not customization, they should be done right.

What is the advantage of waiting if the setup works fine with the old boot.wim?

Waiting is bad because there are hundreds of hotfixes and I am not hunting those, also the integration of all of them is greatly more questionable compared to installing SP1 RC.

In both cases you get updated installation and not boot.wim so ... who cares.

Only case that I know of is the people with 3gb+ BSOD during install on 64bit installs. On 32bit vLite has the fix but it did not help in 64bit for some reason.

They must unplug RAM until SP1 integrated is out, no matter if they use hotfixes or SP1.

Edited by nuhi
synthax