Question about XP Source

MikeO1989

Copy XP from CD to hard drive. Use Nlite to modify it, then make iso and burn a new cd. Got that.

If then deciding later to make another custom XP cd using nlite again, either adding to or deleting some of the previous changes, can nlite use the same source (that had been previously modified) and then change it again or does a new (unmodified XP source) need to used?

Edited by MikeO1989

Only to add custom drivers and/or remove components or included drivers you can reuse the resulting files.

For other changes, it is better to use original files and (if needed) last_session.ini as template.

Only to add custom drivers and/or remove components or included drivers you can reuse the resulting files.

For other changes, it is better to use original files and (if needed) last_session.ini as template.

I agree. Personally, I set nlite to save the last session on the CD. Then when I need to make changes, I take my original XP CD, copy it to the hard drive, and then load up nlite, select the clean source for modifying, import the last session from the modified CD, and make all of the necessary modifications to that, and burn a new CD (after testing in a virtual machine).

Yeah I guess I can see that. If you made the first one that added 100 hotfixes and then did another one later (using that modified XP source) that say added 5 more hotfixes, it would essentially be overwriting those first 100 hotfixes all over again (if you used the saved profile).

It would be cool if it was smart enough to know which ones had been done already and only added to that.

Edited by MikeO1989

Yeah I guess I can see that. If you made the first one that added 100 hotfixes and then did another one later (using that modified XP source) that say added 5 more hotfixes, it would essentially be overwriting those first 100 hotfixes all over again (if you used the saved profile).

It would be cool if it was smart enough to know which ones had been done already and only added to that.

Also remember that the last session files only store what was done in the last session, so if you removed some components, and then modified the modified CD, those components would be already removed, and therefore the last session would not record that it removed them, so if you later needed to rebuild from scratch, you would have to go back and manually enter those items for removal.