Question about the guide

MikeO1989

I see in the guide it recommends to use a souce XP without any service packs. Is this really necessary? I have my XP disk with SP2 and I'd rather use that as the source. The WUP program that gets all the hotfixes, has all of them including pre SP2. I wouldn't think I would need those (if using XP SP2 source) but I have no way of knowing which ones are before SP2 and which are after. Is it safe to put them all in nlite without any side affects during custom XP install?

I see in the guide it recommends to use a souce XP without any service packs. Is this really necessary?

No. I think the point is that it is better to integrate SP2 to the original XP than on top of SP1. I hope you see what I mean.

I'm not even sure there would be any difference.

I see in the guide it recommends to use a souce XP without any service packs. Is this really necessary?

No. I think the point is that it is better to integrate SP2 to the original XP than on top of SP1. I hope you see what I mean.

I'm not even sure there would be any difference.

Simply put, if you have an XP CD with no service pack, integrate SP2, if you have an XP CD with SP1, integrate SP2, if you have an XP CD with SP2, then do nothing. If you have an XP CD with no service pack or with SP1 that you have slipstreamed SP2 onto, then proceed as if you had an XP CD with SP2. Slipstreaming is the process by which you take your original XP CD and make it so it is an XP SP2 CD. When you buy current copies of XP from a store, those CD's are just the original XP that microsoft did the slipstream process for you.