can't get any executables to run

scragman

I've got a Vista Basic PC sitting next to me that gives the error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." every time you try to open an executable. IE, firefox, command prompt, anything really, and I get the error above. According to the file association stuff in the control panel, everything is as it should be (save for what is supposed to manage the .exe files). Again, Vista basic PC with AVG free for the antivirus. Any thoughts?

I've got a Vista Basic PC sitting next to me that gives the error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." every time you try to open an executable. IE, firefox, command prompt, anything really, and I get the error above. According to the file association stuff in the control panel, everything is as it should be (save for what is supposed to manage the .exe files). Again, Vista basic PC with AVG free for the antivirus. Any thoughts?

is this somethine new on the PC? was this a fresh install of Vista? (vlite?) was a software reinstalled or just recently installed? anymore information you can give to when and how this started happening would help us help you!

The owner of the PC (a student) said that it happened one morning when he powered up the machine. As far as I know, this is the same install of Vista that came from the factory (Dell). I'm also not sure about the software (reinstall, new install, uninstall), as all he would tell me was "I powered it on and nothing worked". He's got a few games on there (Halo and a few other regular market games), Office 2007, and AVG antivirus. Other than using the Dell provided backup utility, I don't think he's done anything to the PC. I've done some googling and haven't found anything yet.