A question about XP64

Sakui

I have XP 64 bit running no prob. And also drivers are still being developed as far as I am concerned cuz Creative for example came out with XP 64 bit drivers that fixed a lot of issues. And also why would you want all software to be 64 bit when there is no reason for it? I am running jsut about every software in XP 64 bit that is 32 bit and they run just fine.

Edited by suryad

They are that way for compatibility with plugins, codecs, etc (notice IE by default launches the 32bit version of that application too). I can see no reason to use a 64bit media player unless you need to open a file larger than a few gigabytes, in which case it would make sense.

Is there still support for XP64? When I tired it, it seemed it was dead. Half of the programs were in 32-bit esp WMP11. It seems that I was fighting more than being productive.

Your statement of "Half of the programs were in 32-bit" is probably overstated. Otherwise you'd have more than one example, unless your XP64 only came with two applications.

Media Player in XP64 is 32-bit. The list of other "only 32-bit" apps in XP64 is pretty small. Internet Explorer comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit varieties, and the default is 32-bit, because of the plugin compatibility. This is a desired thing, you WANT the 32-bit browser to be the default. 64-bit IE can't even watch Flash videos (note: NO 64-bit browser on any platform can view Flash videos).

When plugins and compatibilty aren't a problem, it's pretty much all 64-bit. Hyperterminal, Solitaire, Paint.. Even notepad.exe is 64-bit. Go wild opening those 2GB+ text files!

Now as far as your statement of "fighting".. what exactly were you fighting? Did XP64 suddenly put on virtual boxing gloves and start throwing punches? I'm confused. Was it drivers? Drivers are always an issue with people, and yeah XP64's driver support isn't exactly at XP32 levels, but there's drivers for lots of things. I personally have a desktop and laptop running XP64, and have drivers for every device on them. Is it applications? XP64's app support is very high, everything I have tried has run, and for the most part any app that doesn't care what Windows it runs on should run. People sometimes bring up 16-bit apps, which XP64 cannot run, but these very old apps should be run on very old versions of Windows anyway.

I've probably wasted way too much time typing for what appears to be a "fire and forget" troll post, but for anyone who wanders in here later, please be aware that XP64 is sexy and beautiful and fast and oh so nice.

I think when I went to windows update and downloade IE 7, I lost the capability to use IE 32 bit or 64 bit and it is just exclusively 64 bit now. I can watch flash stuff in it. Problem is with divx...the divx web player does not work too well on it. Also there are some intranet related stuff that does nor work too well on it. But I have Firefox 32 bit installed as well to get around all that. Moral of the story is you lose 32 bit browsers if you do Windows Update and upgrade to IE 7. I do not believe there is a 32 bit IE 7 and a 64 bit IE 7. Wehen i go to help and about IE 7 I see the version as 7.0.5730.13 on my 64 bit machine. I se 7.0.5730.11 in my XP 32 bit machine.

Moral of the story is you lose 32 bit browsers if you do Windows Update and upgrade to IE 7. I do not believe there is a 32 bit IE 7 and a 64 bit IE 7

No, YOU lost access to your 32bit IE, and I'm not sure why (don't speak in generalities when there's no way everyone in the world will install IE7 and have problems with the 32bit browser). And yes, IE7 is 32 and 64bit (otherwise how would you have both on Vista x64?).

If you manually do a start > run > c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, do you see an iexplore*32.exe in task manager?

I think when I went to windows update and downloade IE 7, I lost the capability to use IE 32 bit or 64 bit and it is just exclusively 64 bit now. I can watch flash stuff in it.

There is absolutely NO way, at all, in any way, to use Flash Player in 64-bit IE. None. In fact there's no way at all to use Flash Player in *ANY* 64-bit browser, on *ANY* 64-bit operating system.

So you were using 32-bit IE, and Divx probably broke. Your problem is unique to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yall could be right I am gonna check it out. The reason why I think the IE 7 I am running is 64 bit is because of the version differences between the 32 bit and the 64 bit as I pointed out...and also because one of the apps I use is Oracle's Application server and I cannot log in to it with IE 7 yet I could on my 32 bit machine with IE 7...Firefox does it just fine.

Notcing things that used to work in 32 bit and now that dont in 64 is what I based my statements on. But good points everyone. I will look in my task manager and do as you suggested and let yall know.

Moral of the story is you lose 32 bit browsers if you do Windows Update and upgrade to IE 7. I do not believe there is a 32 bit IE 7 and a 64 bit IE 7

No, YOU lost access to your 32bit IE, and I'm not sure why (don't speak in generalities when there's no way everyone in the world will install IE7 and have problems with the 32bit browser). And yes, IE7 is 32 and 64bit (otherwise how would you have both on Vista x64?).

If you manually do a start > run > c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, do you see an iexplore*32.exe in task manager?

Looks like it is 32 bit when I try it that way...interesting! So there are no icons to access 64 bit XP in the Start menu for me it looks like...wonder why the divx web player did not work for me...oh well. Update...the Divx web player works! Totally weird!

Edited by suryad