Regarding DOTNETFX Folder

eddie11013

When I slipstream, I usually delete this folder, Dotnetfx, from my windows xp pro ‘source’ cd. And I also put a check mark on ‘Operating System Options - Net Framework’, thinking this will ‘not’ allow installation of the ‘Net Framework’ program. Maybe this step isn’t needed since I already deleted the “DOTNETFX” folder? I also usually slipstream a ‘.net2.0’ since its needed for the nlite program, made using the ‘Silent .NET Maker from here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Silent-NET-Maker...2-2-t90779.html . Then when I go to windows updates, as an option, it will list “.net1.1” to download and install. Just to ‘not’ see this, I decided to ‘allow’, make that, keep the ‘Dotnetfx’ folder from my original CD. My thinking was that it would install '.net1.1'. Well, it appears that it doesn’t do that since when I went to windows updates it was still listed as an option to download and install. When I go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework, it lists v1.0.3705 & v1.1.4322 & v2.0.50727. Soooooooo, I’m hoping someone can shed some light on the subject. First off, if I just keep the ‘DOTNETFX’ folder will it install, what? V1.0? V1.1? Since I ‘need’ “.net2.0” for nlite, what do I need to do. I was under the impression that when you slipstream ‘.net2.0’, it included “v1.1.”? Yes? No? When I run a relatively new program called “Secunia PSI (RC1), it shows the programs installed, and only lists ‘.net2.0’. Belarc Advisor also only lists .net2.0.

Just as an FYI, my latest DVD slipstreamed without incident. Last session ini listed just in case anyone might think its needed to help shed light on this topic. Maybe the 'DOTNETFX' only works with sp2? I am using the latest sp3 build 3282.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Eddie

LAST_SESSION.INI

You obviously didn't perform any searching yourself, as there are plenty of topics regarding Microsoft .NET Framework on this forum which would have answered all your questions. I'm in a good mood however and I'll give you a short answer: the .NET folder in the root of your installation disc has nothing to do with the installation process; it doesn't get installed, it's not used by the installation process at all, you can compare it to the SUPPORT folder for example, it's safe to delete. Version 2.0 SP1 does not include version 1.1 SP1. Version 3.0 SP1 contains version 2.0 SP1. Version 3.5 contains version 3.0 SP1 and 2.0 SP1. If you want version 1.1 SP1 installed you'll need to install it seperately therefore. The version on your installation disc however is most likely an old version, so simply download the latest release of version 1 from the Microsoft web site. If you want the latest release of version 2, either install the latest release of version 2 as downloaded from the Microsoft web site or install the latest release of version 3 or 3.5, also as downloaded from the Microsoft web site. But you could have found all this easily yourself, so next time please search.

You obviously didn't perform any searching yourself, as there are plenty of topics regarding Microsoft .NET Framework on this forum which would have answered all your questions. I'm in a good mood however and I'll give you a short answer: the .NET folder in the root of your installation disc has nothing to do with the installation process; it doesn't get installed, it's not used by the installation process at all, you can compare it to the SUPPORT folder for example, it's safe to delete. Version 2.0 SP1 does not include version 1.1 SP1. Version 3.0 SP1 contains version 2.0 SP1. Version 3.5 contains version 3.0 SP1 and 2.0 SP1. If you want version 1.1 SP1 installed you'll need to install it seperately therefore. The version on your installation disc however is most likely an old version, so simply download the latest release of version 1 from the Microsoft web site. If you want the latest release of version 2, either install the latest release of version 2 as downloaded from the Microsoft web site or install the latest release of version 3 or 3.5, also as downloaded from the Microsoft web site. But you could have found all this easily yourself, so next time please search.

Also, it should be mentioned that .NET v2.0 is 100% backward compatible with 1.1 and 1.0.. Meaning that even though 1.1 is listed as something you need in WU/MU, you don't actually need it. As a test of this I (a while back) looked around for any programs that said they required 1.0 or 1.1, but not 2.0, did a clean install from an original cd, installed 2.0, and then installed those programs. Some complained that 1.1 or 1.0 wasn't installed, but let me continue anyways. I then was able to run those programs with no problems. That isn't to say that there aren't some programs that will REQUIRE you to have 1.0 or 1.1 installed, but they are few and far between.

Thanks guys,

Sooooo, DOTNETFX does nothing during the installation phase, so it can be deleted. But if I ‘wanted’ to install it I could, by clicking on the “DOTNETFX.EXE”. OK. But it may, or may not, be an old version, of 1.0 or 1.1, and in any case I would still need to go to windows updates to install any hot fixes. And since .net2.0 is backward compatible anyway, I don’t ‘really’ need .net1.1, since I only need ‘dotnet2.0’ to run the nLite program. So, as I originally stated, I have already made a .net2.0, that includes ‘only’ dotnet2.0 and its hot fixes, using the silent .net maker, so I should quite while I’m ahead. But, if I absolutely wanted to, I could use the ‘silent net maker’ and slipstream v1.1 & v2.0. And since, again, I only need it for nlite, there’s no need to pursue ‘DotNet3.0 or 3.5. But, in any event, I can, and should, delete the “DOTNETFX” folder before I slipstream the next time. Just wondering, though, what is this all about: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework, it lists v1.0.3705 & v1.1.4322 & v2.0.50727. If, ’DOTNETFX’, doesn’t do anything??? Since I did everything in one step, and therefore, ‘components’ which contained ‘netfx/i386/netfx.cab’, 12.1MB’s, could not be removed… Hmmm… Can or should I remove, the folders for v1.0.3705 & v1.1.4322 from this C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework folder??? The v1.1.4322 folder is 43.2mb’s, containing 192 files with 9 folders.

Hmmm.

Thanks again,

Eddie