Timed Shutdown Screen Saver

Glenn9999

Would it perhaps be possible to interact with a program such as PowerOff (which can run as a service) in order to provide the ability to shutdown/reboot etc. when no one is logged on to the computer?

No. the limitations I mentioned apply to all programs run under SYSTEM and not just the screen saver. I can especially confirm it by looking at the source and seeing that this program requires the same access permissions as mine does to perform a shutdown.

Edited by Glenn9999

What I meant was the option of using standby rather than a screensaver as the first step (Set screensaver to run: Standby), then after the set time the system would perform the action selected by the user.

I see what you mean, and I could do this. In fact, I already made a screensaver which has this function (turn off the monitor). Integrating it into the main app hopefully won't be too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new revision of this screen saver...

Changes:

0.2: Fixed defaults for screen saver name for Windows ME - maybe other 9X systems?

0.2: Wrote check so screen saver will not run & warn of problems if someone tries to run it as a logon screen saver. Windows, as far as I'm aware from my testing, does not allow the application permissions necessary to do any of the configured actions beyond "log off" and "black screen". This makes it effectively useless in function under Win Logon.

0.2: Added option to turn off the monitor as a screen saver action.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 5 months later...
(please no one tell me LCD burn-in doesn't occur -I have a 19" LCD in my office with a sunflower desktop wallpaper permanently burnt into it that begs to differ)

Set the wallpaper to ALL WHITE and empty the desktop (display an all white bitmap or something, full screen) and leave it on for 24-36 hours. That might take care of it.

Worth a try.

disclaimer: read this in some Mac forum once. Never tried it.

yeah i had a PSP that had a dead pixel (right at launch too so getting another wasnt an option)

luckily, somebody figured out if you make a movie that quickly switches from contrasting colors every frame, loop it and let it sit for a few hours, you could actually wake the dead pixel.

i was skeptical but desperate so i tried it and i couldnt believe it actually worked. the 19" display with the burnin is long gone now (got gateway to replace it for us :) )

but i have a 37" LCD TV that has a powerpoint burnt into it that im gonna try the all white trick on. ill let you know how it goes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...